Sign in to follow this  
Andy

Javelina hunt times

I rarely see javelina out at first light when it is cold

This year I watched a herd bed down under a large juniper around 5:00 in the evening. I got there at sunrise the next morning and they did not come out from under that tree until after 10:00 am.

• Like 2

Here is the wonderful thing about javelina, they are on their own schedule.

I've seen them at every hour of the day, and I've also seen them up and out feeding in the absolute worst weather imaginable. Most consider them "fair weather animals", so seeing them in that weather was some what odd.

I prefer the sunup- lunch time time frame, but my friends and I have had plenty of success on the evening, unlike with deer.

59 minutes ago, nateNAU said:

How about watering times? When do you all seem to find them hitting water?

In my experience, they do not have to water all that often.  They eat cactus and roots with contain lots of water.  They will still hit water, but they are less dependent on it vs. other animals.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nateNAU said:

Had this big herd hammering water 8am 12pm 4pm in December. Over the years I think I’ve got most pics at night of them drinking. 

• Like 2

Last year the pigs we got were all mid to late afternoon. But we were spotting them throughout the day except during high noon ish (hotter parts of the day). 

I prefer morning (just after first light until around 10 or 11 am) for locating them but I seem to kill more in the afternoon and evening.  For what it is worth, I kill more of everything in the evening.

I certainly glass them up most frequently in the mornings and to a lesser degree in the evenings. Mid-day is almost always bumping them outta their beds while covering country. 

17 hours ago, nateNAU said:

I am very interested in this as well if anyone has a take on it. I have literally never found the water source in two of my main areas, but I assume they are there? I have never seen a javelina at a water source. But I have found one drowned in a concrete stock tank thing. Do they drink regularly?

I've always had best luck at first light, and about 10. I have only seen them once in the afternoon. Didn't see squat this year on the archery hunt. I only got to go out 2 days though.