trphyhntr

Any electricians on here?

1 minute ago, HuntHarder said:

Some new gfi's have line and load swapped from factory compared to older gfis

Interesting, wouldn’t that be something. They looked exactly the same. 

3 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Interesting, wouldn’t that be something. They looked exactly the same. 

They say line and load on the sides or backs

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

I don’t think anything else is plugged in. Does it mean anything that when I hit the light switch next to the gfci, the red light on the gfci goes off 

Lighting is typically on a 15 amp breaker. Outlets are on a 20.

Something is definitely weird if the lights are connected to the outlets. The outlets and lights should be on different circuits. Is the breaker that feeds this circuit 20A or 15A? You need to find which side of the gfci ( line or load) the problem is and go from there. 

• Thanks 1

Just a couple thoughts. 1 double check your breakers, old breakers have a tendency to trip without switching to the tripped position. 2 if a neutral wire came loose it can cause strange things to happen like having voltage but nothing works. Also a gfci won't reset if it doesn't have power to it.

• Like 4

Huntharder is right. Old gfis are usually swapped from top to bottom. Meaning the hot line coming in will more then likely be opposite of the old gfi so you cant hook it up exactly how it was before. The hot black wire coming into the box needs to be in the "line" and the wires essentially downstream should be on the "load" side. Hope that helps. Electrical can be very frustrating at times.

16 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

Yeah I unplugged it. And I replaced the outlet it was plugged into. 

I'm not too smart, but the first thing I would do is take a meter & check the voltage coming into the GFI box with it disconnected & the breaker in the on position, i.e. bare wires.