Sign in to follow this  
thegunsmith2506

Tire Question

We have a 2006 GMC 2500 that is my wife's daily driver. She only drives about 30 miles a week. Aside from that I use the truck for hunting, hauling water, and the occasional trip to town. I also drive it to work if we get a lot of snow. Last time I bought tires the guy at Big O talked me out of mud tires saying they would be terrible on snow and ice. I went with an AT tire instead. They are ok but on the late elk hunts I would really like a more aggressive tire. Its time to buy tires again and I was wanting to get some opinions. Does anyone here have experience driving on ice and snow with mud tires? Do they wear a lot faster than AT tires on a full size truck? Tires last us several years with no more than we drive so I don't want regret my choice.   

When in college in Salt Lake (a LONG time ago), I had BF Goodrich Mud Terrain tires on my Toyota.    My pals and I spent many, many, days/nights out four-wheeling while hunting or for fun in all kinds of weather, and those tires were AWESOME in snow.  

Honestly, don't remember how they performed on packed roads (ice), but they were great off road in either mud OR snow.

S.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, stanley said:

When in college in Salt Lake (a LONG time ago), I had BF Goodrich Mud Terrain tires on my Toyota.    My pals and I spent many, many, days/nights out four-wheeling while hunting or for fun in all kinds of weather, and those tires were AWESOME in snow.  

Honestly, don't remember how they performed on packed roads (ice), but they were great off road in either mud OR snow.

S.

Good to know. I’m about to get some BFG mud terrains myself

I always run mud terrains and do great. But my brother said they sold him the same story at another place and that not to get them if he will be in rain or snow 

My experience after living in Idaho for 20 years is that Mud Terrain work well on fresh snow / mud but poorly on sheet ice and wet pavement. 

If I were you, I would go with the AT and buy a set of chains for those backcountry trips where you need the extra traction. Chaining up all four can be handy when you need it along with a tube or two of traction sand in the winter months to sprinkle on that sheet ice when you need it.

Hope that helps!

• Like 5

Interestingly enough, Im looking at the Nitto Trail Grapplers as my next tire. I do drive alot of highway, but this tire looks like it has great reviews and for the guys that ran them in this past weekend's King of the Hammers race they can take one heck of a beating. 

This article I was reading and addresses alot of the questions you have.

https://tireer.com/nitto-trail-grappler-mt-review/

• Like 1

I run Hercules Terra Trac T/G Max on my 1 ton.  Haven't had them long...only 2 trips in snow/ice so far, but they've stuck good.  Whatever you do, run 10 plys.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, akaspecials said:

I agree with what Horse Hunter said and suggested. Make sure your front chains clear when you turn the tires though. I run Cooper Discoverer ATP on a 04 Silverado 1500 and there is not enough clearance for "real" chains on the front tires.

If you can't find real chains (meaning beefy large links), order them online. Most stores, even in states that get respectable amounts of snow, only carry cable chains because they tear up roads less. Cable chains are not meant for off-road and will cause a ton of damage when they snap and wrap around your axles. 

Picture is from this December when we got 4 ft in 2 days while camping/snowboarding at Mammoth. Top of the mountain got 8 ft.  Rear chains only and we were fine on dirt roads with 4 low and low gears. We are only stuck in this picture because we tried to ram through the plow line to get from a FS road to the highway. We almost made it! Chains came off the next morning since we had compacted the snow with chains on the previous day. 

truck.jpg

That looks like a great time. I haven't got to do something like that in a while. 

I've been having problems finding mud terrain. I needed a set of 35's and discount ordered the wrong ones. I'm making the switch to 37's on my ram when my BFG AT's wear down on my ram. Hopefully I can find them when the time comes. 

Speaking from experience, BFG muds are great tires but don't last long on a heavy vehicle (Diesel F350 LB CC got about 25 - 30K on 37's).  Sounds like you don't drive much, rotate regularly and you could get 40K.

• Like 1

Toyo MT

Nitto MT 

If you want better wet/ice traction get them siped. 

• Like 1