Sign in to follow this  
olmos1010

7 day backcountry elk hunt

Not a pricky question.  I, and a few of my friends have used this technique a few times.  Animals can travel a mile easy to drink, I can not.  In a lot of my spots, the water is in the bottom and I like to hunt on top.  Hiking down and back up each time I need water is not productive. 

Not a silver bullet for water, but definitely will give you more possibilities on where you can hunt.    

• Like 1

I would suggest taking a long weekend and hiking into a area and trying all your gear out asap. Learn what you can shed and what you forgot. Sleeping systems and Shelter are the twwo biggest items and can also be much lighter in the pack as you pay more money for better gear. As others have said I would be very concerned about meat care when you get a animal down. Late elk hunts with cool temps are much better then Sept hunts with hot temps in the back country

• Like 1

I do these every couple years.  Weighing your gear is essential, as is keeping your total weight as low as possible. I use a kuiu 2 man mountain star tent. Enlightened equipment quilt that has a foot well. Big agnes sleeping pad. I carry the bare minimum of extra clothes just what is absolutely essential. I have merino wool layers by kuiu and first lite. High quality light rain gear. Water filtration and a mini mo jet boil. I eat freeze dried breakfast and dinner and make a lunch packet for every day. Food is heavy and I try to have just what I need and zero extra. I use a Bivy satellite device that blue tooths to my phone and allows me to text by satellite. I do 5 day trips with my exo 4800 pack. The rifle is a huge percentage of my weight but the country I hunt is big open rugged rough territory. So I punish myself with a 12lb long range 338. It is very fun style of hunting that allows access to areas that most people arent willing to go to.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

52E0D00D-6DEF-4D14-975A-78C141F2AD2C.jpeg

This wins the internet.  Not just today but all time #1.  

You ain’t #backcountry #diy #otc #keephammerin unless you’ve hiked atleast double digits and slept in your #kifaru while eating your #mountainopps and “slid one between the ribs” on a giant “toad” of a bull and packed him out yourself.   You know what they say, go in light and come out heavy.  I can pack atleast 350# of meat in my 33,000 cu in pack.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yotebuster said:

You ain’t #backcountry #diy #otc #keephammerin unless you’ve hiked atleast double digits and slept in your #kifaru while eating your #mountainopps and “slid one between the ribs” on a giant “toad” of a bull and packed him out yourself.   You know what they say, go in light and come out heavy.  I can pack atleast 350# of meat in my 33,000 cu in pack.  

It can be done!!! Peter Pan was a woman identifying as a boy. Or vise versa , never mind, this $hits confusing.

1 hour ago, 5guyshunting said:

Peter Pan was a woman identifying as a boy. 

I can see why you're confused. J.M. Barrie probably would be confused too seeing Mary Martin in those green tights.

Let us know how the hunt goes! 27 is fun, I've had that tag four times in the last 11 years and had a blast every time. I never felt like I needed to pack in anywhere to get away from people to still have a good hunt but remember other folks will be wanting to do the same as you and you may run into folks in the Bear Wallow or the Blue too.

Oh, yeah, Scott Adams knows lots of wilderness in 27, like Sun devil said.

Jeff

• Like 1

5 hours ago, yotebuster said:

Keep hammering