ultramag

need boot advise

I wear Danners everyday at work.. Gotta say that they agree with my feet the best out of all the diff boots I've tried. Currently, I have a pair of Meidel Ibex and they've been a good pair of boots. Not the best, but good. After I wear them out, I think I'm gonna stick with Danners from here on out.

Scottyboy - is that a pic of Michelle Obama for your avatar?

I had a pair of Danner Light Hikers - best boots ever Lasted me 10 years with one resole job. They finally died on me so I got a pair of Danner Radicals - extremely comfortable but they didn't wear well the soles are cheap and the seams are all coming undone - I can't recommend them. I recently purchased a pair of Danner Light II Hikers - Canvas/Leather version of the Light Hikers they're still a little stiff but they are showing some promise. Seems like the better the boot the longer it takes to break them in.

Danners all the way...Just get the danners and you'll never look back... ;)

I wear Danners everyday at work.. Gotta say that they agree with my feet the best out of all the diff boots I've tried. Currently, I have a pair of Meidel Ibex and they've been a good pair of boots. Not the best, but good. After I wear them out, I think I'm gonna stick with Danners from here on out.

Scottyboy - is that a pic of Michelle Obama for your avatar?

Naw, he's too good looking to be confused with that demon seed. :lol:

I have narrow feet and can't wear danners, I would if i could. I wear the merrells, the high top gore tex ones. They dont last very long but they are the most comfy boots i've ever put on. They are also really quiet. I dont like tall stiff boots, i feel like im wearing stilts. THese give me enough support wothout annoying me

The Danners are lasted quite narrow- I can't believe you can't wear them. If you guys are talking about cheap Chinese made Danners I have no idea, but the expensive, made in Oregon ones are a sham! I am very hard on boots and anything less than a good pair won't last me two seasons. Rockys last me two hunts! I bought a pair of Santiams ($300 range) Danners. The bob soles have all broken off the boots are overly soft, they are too narrow and leak through the Gore-tex. I can't wear them in steep country at all as they kill my feet. I bought them for a Canadian hunt and they were marginal in that country. I'm not sure what they are good for.

The Lowas and Meindls (Cabelas) are FANTASTIC rough country boots. I gave a worn out pair to my guide in Canada and he threw away his Danner Canadians ($300) and said the Meindls are twice as good. I suspect the Kennetreks are just as good but they are made in Italy and the Lowas and Meindls are made in Germany. I have seen Cabela's Italian made boots and they are not as good as the Meindls- I have no idea if it's the same factory as Kennetrek or not.

I wore an almost brand new pair of Russell PH boots for 3 weeks during my archery elk hunt. I got them out this weekend as they are quiet and they are shredded. Very comfortable but they don't hold up in malapai or rocky country. But they are quiet for stalking so I wore them out anyway.

Boots are a very subjective thing

After 5 years in the military and hiking around with Bates I was ready for a nice expensive pair of boots I went with a pair of Meindl Perfekt.

I have about 100 mi on these boots and they are great I purchased an aftermarket insole to wear when i am only using 1 pair of socks.

I love the way they stay on your feet tight when laced up and the way they slide off when you are done with them.

I also hunt with a guy who purchased the Meindl Denali He has no complaints either.

I'm in the market also and I've decided to go with the Meindl's Perfekt Hunter boot. I went through 2 pairs of Danners last year and have never gotten more than 1 season out of any pair of Danner I've had....but they are much better than any Rocky model that I've previously used. I have a pile of Danner boots in my closet with some that appear as though they are brand new....execpt for a blown out seam, or the front of the sole separated! I love the boot for comfort and support but it drives me up the wall that I spent almost $400 last year alone on 2 pairs of boots and haven't gotten a full season out of either boot! I know I should have been calling Danners customer service and sending them in to be repaired...I've heard they are good about that, but I never have time for that so I have just gone and bought a new pair. The models I've bought that lasted me the longest time is the Frontier, and the Quarry models....all the others fell apart fast for me. I'm buyin' the Meindl's tomorrow!

I haven't blown any seams in the Santiams, in fact, the uppers look quite nice, but the midsole has broken down and the bobs have all torn off. The fit is terrible. I think they used ET's foot for the last pattern!

The Meindl Perfekts are not the same as the heavier ones, They have a one-piece-sole and are comfortable but don't hold up in rough country like the Alaskans, Canadians or Denalis.

Cabelas will stand behind them though.

sportsmans had the danner instigators on sale for $119. broke down and got a pair. they seemed to have a little more durable leather than most of the low rise danner boots. I know the pronghorns are very popular but I do not prefer boots that go up that high. we will see.

I'm in the market also and I've decided to go with the Meindl's Perfekt Hunter boot. I went through 2 pairs of Danners last year and have never gotten more than 1 season out of any pair of Danner I've had....but they are much better than any Rocky model that I've previously used. I have a pile of Danner boots in my closet with some that appear as though they are brand new....execpt for a blown out seam, or the front of the sole separated! I love the boot for comfort and support but it drives me up the wall that I spent almost $400 last year alone on 2 pairs of boots and haven't gotten a full season out of either boot! I know I should have been calling Danners customer service and sending them in to be repaired...I've heard they are good about that, but I never have time for that so I have just gone and bought a new pair. The models I've bought that lasted me the longest time is the Frontier, and the Quarry models....all the others fell apart fast for me. I'm buyin' the Meindl's tomorrow!

Hope you like them Jim. The Meindl Perfekt Hunter is the best boot I have ever owned. They hold up very well. I also wore Danner Boots for years. They were good boots but I also could never get more than a year or two out of them. Back seams were always coming apart on them. The Perfekt Hunters are the most Comfortable boot I have ever worn.

I've used the Meindl Canadians for over 15 years (I'm on my 3rd pair) and absolutely love them. I hike in very rough country in unit 27 and carry very large pack. They are absolutely top of the line for what I use them for.

Cabelas Meindl Canadian