Sign in to follow this  
Gringo

23 North Early Archery

Has anyone on here hunted this?   Unbelievably, I drew tag #16 in the random pass.   I haven’t been able to find anyone that has actually hunted it, to chat with.   I know it can be incredible, so I mostly just want to chat with someone that has hunted it.

Thanks!

I am going to agree with the post above. I love that area and spend a lot of time in there. A good bull can ultimately be anywhere but it takes time and covering ground to ultimately find one. If you want the absolute most out of the hunt and a solid chance at giant hire a guide. If you have 2 weeks to diy I can’t imagine you won’t find a good bull. I do suggest be physically in shape as much as you can. You can easily burn yourself out in 3 days in that country. Course you could call in a young bull 10 yards from the truck too. Congrats on the tag! Once in a lifetime tag so enjoy it to the fullest

• Thanks 1

I know people that have had that hunt or early rifle. All but one hired guides. All but one killed 350+ bulls. 
I would likely go DIY but that is some badass country! I hunted the late hunt in the Gordon Canyon area 25 years ago. I thought I was in good shape but found out I could’ve been in better. 

• Like 1

Sir...Are you looking for specific areas to hunt or just trying to gain insight on the unit and the hunt.....If your not looking for areas give me a call. I have spent every year for the last 20ish yrs either on that hunt or in the south half. Thanks Dave 602-228-1719

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, azelkhunter2 said:

Sir...Are you looking for specific areas to hunt or just trying to gain insight on the unit and the hunt.....If your not looking for areas give me a call. I have spent every year for the last 20ish yrs either on that hunt or in the south half. Thanks Dave 602-228-1719

Definitely not looking for specific areas.  I wouldn’t ask guys that I don’t know for things like that.   Just wanted to know experiences from guys that have hunted it in the past.  

Don't hire a guide. If theres any elk hunt in the state that you don't need a guide, thats it. Enjoy success from your own hard work. I can't stand dragging a guide around with me on an archery bull hunt. From your profile pic it looks like you have a lot of experience hunting, you should be fine if you can put some time into it. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I've helped on that hunt twice the last 3 years. Ill tell you right now, A3 is everywhere. If you find a big bull, you'll have competition. I'm all for DIY, but those guides get big bulls killed. To me most the fun is figuring it out yourself. You'll see tons of bulls, if you go DIY, be in great shape, bc you'll need it to get to those big bulls.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zackcarp said:

I've helped on that hunt twice the last 3 years. Ill tell you right now, A3 is everywhere. If you find a big bull, you'll have competition. I'm all for DIY, but those guides get big bulls killed. To me most the fun is figuring it out yourself. You'll see tons of bulls, if you go DIY, be in great shape, bc you'll need it to get to those big bulls.

If a person goes guided do they not need to be in great shape to get to said big bulls?

No. The guide can use a helicopter to push the animal to the hunter waiting by the truck

If a person goes guided do they not need to be in great shape to get to said big bulls?     Jimmy Johns 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4