Sign in to follow this  
Yuma Outdoorsman

Monsoon Rain

I have been addicted to watching the doppler that last few weeks and watching all the rain in the desert. I finally got a chance to drive through some of my favorite areas to hunt this past weekend and there was standing water on Sunday from rain on Thursday. That is awesome to see. Usually, that water is soaked up in a few hours but to see it still there days later means the washes have been running and the desert has been getting plenty of water. Let's hope that translates into some big, fat, healthy bucks for us all. 

• Like 4

"MyRadarPro" is the app I used as a commercial  pilot. Now retired but during the 2020 NOV Couse hunt used it to track the approaching rain cell. My buddy and I had time to plan for getting under cover and we could see when it would pass.  

• Like 1

I use this site. Has a bunch of remote stations, including one where I hunt.

For Networks, select All Networks. For Overlay 2, select the precipitation time frame you want (or other parameters). Select Refresh Map.

https://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/mesomap.cgi?state=AZ&rawsflag=3

• Like 2

12 hours ago, AZAV8ER said:

"MyRadarPro" is the app I used as a commercial  pilot. Now retired but during the 2020 NOV Couse hunt used it to track the approaching rain cell. My buddy and I had time to plan for getting under cover and we could see when it would pass.  

The first November? Oh man that was great, second it cleared there was bucks every where. 

• Like 1

Problem is the automated WX stations are notoriously inaccurate.

A recent audit of automated stations showed 96% violated NOAA standards for environmental placement and reliable metering. This is true with rain gauge precipitation amounts as well as wet and dry bulb temps and pressure.

When I was a young Airman plotting weather charts, we simply ignored automated data.

1 hour ago, Edge said:

Problem is the automated WX stations are notoriously inaccurate.

A recent audit of automated stations showed 96% violated NOAA standards for environmental placement and reliable metering. This is true with rain gauge precipitation amounts as well as wet and dry bulb temps and pressure.

When I was a young Airman plotting weather charts, we simply ignored automated data.

So did you use a sling psychrometer and a psych chart?

Been in the area I hunt in Aug the last 2 weekends, water everywhere. Should keep the deer spread out and not sitting ducks coming into the water holes. Hopefully keeps units open longer.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, PRDATR said:

So did you use a sling psychrometer and a psych chart?

Yes sling and psychrometric wheel . Had a 40" mercurial barometer too which we dialed every Thursday at 12Z to synch the aneroids.

Was among the first couple dozen people in AZ to be trained on the Doppler color radar. Prior to that we used a B-52s air to air radar which showed clouds and precip well. Memories  (I know, big whoop, yawn).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bonecollector said:

Been in the area I hunt in Aug the last 2 weekends, water everywhere. Should keep the deer spread out and not sitting ducks coming into the water holes. Hopefully keeps units open longer.

I hope they are spread out. Makes the hunting tougher for road hunters! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Edge said:

Yes sling and psychrometric wheel . Had a 40" mercurial barometer too which we dialed every Thursday at 12Z to synch the aneroids.

Was among the first couple dozen people in AZ to be trained on the Doppler color radar. Prior to that we used a B-52s air to air radar which showed clouds and precip well. Memories  (I know, big whoop, yawn).

Good Old Days. Now there's "An App For That". 99% of the people out there have no clue how far technology has come in the last 50 years or even where it's at now.

3 hours ago, Edge said:

Cool stuff to hear about…I didn’t realize the air or air radar was used for that. 

Getting more rain in some of Unit 39 and a few of the 40's units of the desert. Should be some fat and happy deer over the next few months. Only 83 days until the opener. Should be a great rifle season. 

Went antelope scouting Wednesday. I have no idea how to access my hunting areas. It is a quagmire. They have been getting rain everyday and are forecast for rain every day as far out as they forecast. I have never  seen that area even close to being that wet. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, creed said:

Went antelope scouting Wednesday. I have no idea how to access my hunting areas. It is a quagmire. They have been getting rain everyday and are forecast for rain every day as far out as they forecast. I have never  seen that area even close to being that wet. 

That is crazy but we could sure use all the rain. Been a great monsoon season thus far. 

• Like 1