Sign in to follow this  
CouesFanatic

Archery Kills rolling in already

57 minutes ago, creed said:

I pretty much got ignored over a javelina problem. They did $25000 in crop damage to an emerging cotton field. G&F could have cared less. I finally raised enough heck they sent a guy out to set up a pen trap.  What a freakin joke!

That is crazy. That is a joke for sure. 

2 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

you’re not hunting with 2 experienced glassers anymore. That’s the 20-40 deer difference 

Lol. 

My hunting partner has killed 30+ coues, several being in the all time book. 

33 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Lol. 

My hunting partner has killed 30+ coues, several being in the all time book. 

Ok that’s 1 guy, get one more guy that good then you actually find 2-3 deer yourself, back to 60

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Ok that’s 1 guy, get one more guy that good then you actually find 2-3 deer yourself, back to 60

2-3 per day?! That would be my record. I cant even imagine finding that many deer myself. 🤓

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Newbie2012 said:

Dang, GMU 1 is at 40% already and it’s only Sat afternoon. Probably be the first unit to close.

At least every bowhunter that wishes to hunt the unit is guaranteed 6 days per year to hunt it.  It wasn't that way under the previous system.   Under last year's regulations, only 125 hunters were drawn to kill virtually the same number of deer that will be killed this year.  Actually, a few more deer will be killed this year (at least 35 v. 32 under the draw last year).  I suppose an argument could be made that those 125 hunters had less competition and crowding, but at least under the new regulations, the majority of hunters will be guaranteed the chance to hunt at least six days in their favorite area (unless theirs is in one of the very few draw areas).  The hunt is only scheduled to be no more than 3 weeks long for the entire year, just like it was under the draw system.  There will be, and should be, people on both sides of the fence in a unit like this as to which format is preferable.  But I think overall the majority of hunters statewide will see more opportunities to hunt under this new system in the majority of units.  If 125 hunters killed 32 deer in three weeks last year, it should only be expected by all of us that a significant number of hunters greater than 125 will reach the 35 deer quota in less than three weeks this year.  But a lot more people had the chance to enjoy hunting the unit, even if for a shorter time, than they did last year.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Just saw an absolute slob of a coues buck got killed. Looks like it had a month of growing left 

Can you get any pictures?

6 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Just saw an absolute slob of a coues buck got killed. Looks like it had a month of growing left 

This happens every August. All the time. Every year. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, StickFlicker said:

At least every bowhunter that wishes to hunt the unit is guaranteed 6 days per year to hunt it.  It wasn't that way under the previous system.   Under last year's regulations, only 125 hunters were drawn to kill virtually the same number of deer that will be killed this year.  Actually, a few more deer will be killed this year (at least 35 v. 32 under the draw last year).  I suppose an argument could be made that those 125 hunters had less competition and crowding, but at least under the new regulations, the majority of hunters will be guaranteed the chance to hunt at least six days in their favorite area (unless theirs is in one of the very few draw areas).  The hunt is only scheduled to be no more than 3 weeks long for the entire year, just like it was under the draw system.  There will be, and should be, people on both sides of the fence in a unit like this as to which format is preferable.  But I think overall the majority of hunters statewide will see more opportunities to hunt under this new system in the majority of units.  If 125 hunters killed 32 deer in three weeks last year, it should only be expected by all of us that a significant number of hunters greater than 125 will reach the 35 deer quota in less than three weeks this year.  But a lot more people had the chance to enjoy hunting the unit, even if for a shorter time, than they did last year.

It was just a random observation I noticed that probably means nothing. I’d imagine it’s because the amount of hunters is >125.

That’s good info you provided tho. 

26 minutes ago, StickFlicker said:

But the argument can be made:

How many more will be wounded/die later and what will all those extra hunters/pressure do to that unit? Same number of deer REPORTED killed, but way more pressure ( in theory) and likely more actual dead deer.

• Like 5