Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

Kids First Knife

So I have a 10yr old who has his first hunt in February for Javelina. I am thinking he probably needs a knife for Christmas. Recommendations?

Part of me says old school Buck 110 like I got, but I never use it really. They do offer it in S30V now which is kinda cool though. 

He needs the knife of Rambo!!!!

lol, but honestly that buck is a good choice. For me my kids I would go with some sort of old timer packet knife with smaller blades u til they display they can handle them. But if your kid has shown that then heck yea get him a nice knife he can use on the hunt! Good luck and hope he likes it 

I talked to my 14yo who has quite a collection of knives. He likes his Buck 110 but brought up a good point that fixed blades can rattle around creating noise and catch on things when going through brush. He loves his benchmade crooked river and for a fixed blade the rag horn. I concur on his recommendation of benchmade. His crooked river got a chip in the wood and when we took it in for sharpening they put brand new wood on as well. All part of their warranty. The chip was on a corner from him dropping it on our brick floor. 

My buddy Joe did the Rambo knife thing .It wasn't like rambo's but it was big and useless  other than for decoration. Havalon  makes a great knife but just not for kids .Any of the buck or Benchmade are great .

Harley,

S30V on the 110 is really nice. I had one done through the Buck Custom Shop a few years ago for my son on his 30th birthday with a satin finish blade, stag handles and had them engrave it but you won't get it out of the Custom Shop in time for Christmas.

You could get him a nice Case or Hen&Rooster for Christmas a custom knife later in time for his hunt. I also recently did a Custom 113 Skinner in S30V with Water Buffalo Handles for my Elk Guide with the Year and his Name Engraved on it.

https://www.buckknives.com/custom-knife-shop/

7 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

Harley,

S30V on the 110 is really nice. I had one done through the Buck Custom Shop a few years ago for my son on his 30th birthday with a satin finish blade, stag handles and had them engrave it but you won't get it out of the Custom Shop in time for Christmas.

You could get him a nice Case or Hen&Rooster for Christmas a custom knife later in time for his hunt. I also recently did a Custom 113 Skinner in S30V with Water Buffalo Handles for my Elk Guide with the Year and his Name Engraved on it.

https://www.buckknives.com/custom-knife-shop/

I was looking at buck custom the other day and thought it was pretty cool. I might have them do a pair down the road, one for each of my boys. 

I do like benchmade too, I own a couple personally and they have been very good. 

17 minutes ago, Hoss50 said:

I was looking at buck custom the other day and thought it was pretty cool. I might have them do a pair down the road, one for each of my boys. 

I do like benchmade too, I own a couple personally and they have been very good. 

With Buck you can send in the knife and have them sharpen it for a few dollars which might come in handy with the S30V.

New Buck 550. Selector blade. 

Numerous interchangeable blades available. 

I got the old buck interchangeable blade knife and love it! I dont go hunting without it!

Replacement Blades

• Small Game (product 828987)
  • Drop Point (product 570029)
  • Gutting (product 313807)
  • Clip Point (product 870452)
  • Serrated Drop Point (product 417520)
  • Hoof Pick (product 294782)
  • Skinner (product 219415)

I still have the imitation stag handle Chinese knife from a flea market…my first skinning/gutting knife that never held an edge. Good memories but I wish it was better quality. 

Buck or Benchmade as others recommended or a smaller Buck or Old Timer if you’re thinking more of a pocketknife to carry daily. I received a very simple Cutco pocket knife for Christmas or a groomsman gift years ago and that’s become my favorite for daily carry. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bigorange said:

I still have the imitation stag handle Chinese knife from a flea market…my first skinning/gutting knife that never held an edge. Good memories but I wish it was better quality. 

Buck or Benchmade as others recommended or a smaller Buck or Old Timer if you’re thinking more of a pocketknife to carry daily. I received a very simple Cutco pocket knife for Christmas or a groomsman gift years ago and that’s become my favorite for daily carry. 

His grandpa bought him a small fixed blade fake stag handle knife from Turkey, but it isn't good. So I want to get him something he can keep and use for many years that will actually be useful. 

• Like 1

I love my Buck 110. It was given to me when I was in middle school (35? years ago) and its still my go-to for bird hunting.  I used to to clean 100s of pheasants, rabbits, and quail growing up in Iowa.  I still put it on my belt for bird hunting out of nostalgia and because I can't bring myself to go for anything else.  I have other Buck and Gerber fixed-blade knives that I keep in my pack as back-ups to my Havalon.  Its honestly hard to go wrong with a 110 and now I'm wondering why I never got my son one.

• Like 1

Gutted my deer this year with my Buck 110 that I received from dad 45 years ago. Wooden handle, lock blade, can't go wrong. Have other knives, but that was in my pack and I'm glad it was. 

Buck 110 is sort of a tradition.  My oldest boy has one from his grandpa.   Definitely would not get a kid a havolan though.  And I'd recommend cut resistant gloves as well 

• Like 1