Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

Kids First Knife

10 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Buck 110 is sort of a tradition.  My oldest boy has one from his grandpa.   Definitely would not get a kid a havolan though.  And I'd recommend cut resistant gloves as well 

LoL I feel like I got ripped off in childhood with no Buck 110. And definitely no need for havalon as a gift for a kid…great tools but not memorable as a gift or a keepsake. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Buck 110 is sort of a tradition.  My oldest boy has one from his grandpa.   Definitely would not get a kid a havolan though.  And I'd recommend cut resistant gloves as well 

I have a love/hate relationship with the Havalon. A good knife with some actual heft to it is worth it's weight in gold and much easier to control and less likely to get away from you. Plus it will have more cutting surface.

I also have an Outdoor edge and while it's not as sharp as the Havalon it feels more like an actual knife. I feel like the Havalon is more suited to taxidermy work.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

I also have an Outdoor edge and while it's not as sharp as the Havalon it feels more like an actual knife. I feel like the Havalon is more suited to taxidermy work.

I prefer the Outdoor Edge hands down…definitely feels more like a knife in hand and handles really well. I even use mine in the kitchen sometimes. Agree the Havalon is more specialized. I don’t think either one is a memorable keepsake first knife for a kid though. 

• Like 2

Whatever knife you give him he'll be trying to stick it in stumps when you ain't looking.  Get him a durable fixed blade and something more meaningful when he's a little older.

My dad gave me a Kabar  i saw in the window of Cashbox Pawn, when I started hunting,  wish I still had it.

• Like 2

My dad gave me a western official Boy Scout fixed blade knife when I was a kid for cleaning salmon in AK. Great knife. I still carry it with me in my pack when I am hunting 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Lucafu1 said:

I got this for my daughter's 13th birthday.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Buck-112-Ranger-Sport-Lockback--140108

I am going to look around to see one of those. I saw them on the website, but have not seen one in person. They look smaller and more modern. 

9 hours ago, Hoss50 said:

I am going to look around to see one of those. I saw them on the website, but have not seen one in person. They look smaller and more modern. 

Exactly why i liked it. Its classic and modern. Also they were quick to ship even with the etching/engraving.

My first 5-6 knives were Barlow all from the same place Yellow Front, lost everyone of them. It's your choice, but for the first one I would go for something like a Buck and see how he takes care of it, and then move up to a better knife, maybe even a custom.

• Like 1

You guys are HORRIBLE influences!  I just ordered my son a Buck 110 for his birthday (Dec 24) because, as everyone else has said, including me, everyone should have a Buck 110!  Now to explain it to my wife.  Thank goodness for my pro-deals!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3