Sign in to follow this  
180ls1

If you were looking for a 300" bull...

Looking for a 300" bull, early archery or late rifle?  

90 members have voted

1. 1. If you were looking for a 300" bull, what would you choose?

• Late rifle
    • Early Archery

On 1/5/2023 at 12:14 PM, JSR said:

if you are a resident you have a good chance to draw the Unit 23 late hunt with 10 points.

But you need to be in at least decent shape or have some helpers because most bulls will be in difficult spots.

Good optics would be preferable too.

Only 4 residents out of 33 resident applicants drew 23 late rifle last year with 10 points. 3 of 26 with 11. The pass started at 12 last year and the year before. 

1 hour ago, azcouesandelk said:

Only 4 residents out of 33 resident applicants drew 23 late rifle last year with 10 points. 3 of 26 with 11. The pass started at 12 last year and the year before. 

4 of 33 is greater than 10%. Its worth putting as a first choice. Ive drawn it twice in the last 7 years with 8 and 5 points by putting 23 first with a better odds hunt as 2nd choice. 80% of the tags are not drawn in the pass. You cant win the lottery if you dont buy the ticket. 😀

• Like 2

1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

My biggest question is why 300” that’s barely a 6x6. Set your goals higher 

^this

if 300” is your goal, I would swing at 8 or either of the 6’s for late rifle. With 8, you can find 30-40” on top of your 300” goal pretty easily. 

• Like 1

On 1/6/2023 at 3:47 PM, trphyhntr said:

You need to keep in mind that we are spoiled here in AZ.  Most people in the country would love to kill a 300" elk.  There is a reason why the Pope and Young minimum is 260".  99% of hunters will never even get that.

I get your point though, we do live in AZ so we can set our goals higher.  Achieving them is another thing, especially with a bow.  Nothing wrong with a 300" 6 x 6.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, azelkhunter69 said:

You need to keep in mind that we are spoiled here in AZ.  Most people in the country would love to kill a 300" elk.  There is a reason why the Pope and Young minimum is 260".  99% of hunters will never even get that.

I get your point though, we do live in AZ so we can set our goals higher.  Achieving them is another thing, especially with a bow.  Nothing wrong with a 300" 6 x 6.

The OP is talking about hunting in Arizona though…

On 1/6/2023 at 4:47 PM, trphyhntr said:

I would bet 80-90% of the bulls taken on late rifle hunts are under 300”.  I think most guys have a tendency to call any 6 pt bull a 300” bull and are off by 20-40”.  I also think most guys don’t care so there’s a higher percent of small bulls shot.  I would agree that if you go out, hunt hard, and can pass small 6’s you can kill a 320-340 bull in any late hunt in the state.  (Besides Forebee of course). 

This is what an actual 300” bull looks like   I feel like people rarely score those small to mid size 6’s and just classify them based on how they look  

43C7C353-A726-403D-B913-FCF4E053C547.jpeg

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, yotebuster said:

I would bet 80-90% of the bulls taken on late rifle hunts are under 300”.  I think most guys have a tendency to call any 6 pt bull a 300”. 

I don’t disagree with you but that’s not relevant to what I’m saying. 

300” on the early archery or the late rifle hunts is not a very high bar to set. 

Very very achievable 

For reference,  this is a 260 bull. Still looks great and tasted even better 

9FCD5114-C367-418C-99D3-05F3A1130CDD.jpeg

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, yotebuster said:

I feel like people rarely score those small to mid size 6’s and just classify them based on how they look  

thats because nobody really cares what bull like that scores. i mean i dont hear people talking about "300"" bulls. most people would just say they saw, shot, missed, a "small 6x6" etc.

I'd take a 300 all day long, have 12 points hoping this is the year for early archery!  Will fit perfectly over the fire place :)

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, twistzz said:

I'd take a 300 all day long, have 12 points hoping this is the year for early archery!  Will fit perfectly over the fire place :)

I think I have 11. I want a 365+ 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

I think I have 11. I want a 365+ 

Nothing wrong with swinging for the fences but that's a nice bull man.  I'd be stoked to kill a 335 

I just want a 6x6 (young and tender one would be great). I'll have 11 points going into the draw. I'm thinking 1 or 27 is gonna be my best bet. After that I will only go for late rifle or cow hunts.

• Like 1