codyhuntsaz

First time turkey hunter

We drew the unit 27 hunt with two season dates…I’ve never hunted Turkey before and I can only hunt 1 week…is there a predominantly better week to hunt? Are they usually more vocal one week over the other? I just want to give myself the best odds of finding them (vocally) during the week I can hunt. 

Wind will be a very big factor 

birds will be active throughout hunt

early hunt, gobblers might be more henned up

later hunt, gobblers will be less henned up

wind will be a very big factor

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SunDevil said:

Wind will be a very big factor 

birds will be active throughout hunt

early hunt, gobblers might be more henned up

later hunt, gobblers will be less henned up

wind will be a very big factor

So if I’m understanding you right….the WIND could be a big factor?!? Haha 

seems like it’s always windy that time of year in 27/1. 

if the toms are henned up will they still be vocal or will they be less vocal and less responsive to calls? 

Wind affects how far your calls carry, and how well you hear responses to your calls.   Wind blowing through the ponderosas can drown out an elk bugle, much less,a gobble.   The weather and how fast it warms up will be a factor as well. I think the hens  know nesting in snow is futile.

I’ve seen both earl and late weekends be the prime time when there were only one hunt.   I’d break your week off up over some 3-4 day trips if it were my hunt. 

How many points did you draw it with? Also general question for anyone, how many points (roughly) does it take to draw a decent turkey hunt in az?

9 hours ago, Sketchy Tom said:

How many points did you draw it with? Also general question for anyone, how many points (roughly) does it take to draw a decent turkey hunt in az?

NWTF has some good pointers if i can remember. I searched the internet a few years back looking for tips and tricks.

As is my understanding:

There's a science behind  turkey hunting in the spring (just like any other hunt, but more so with turkey). Not so dependent on colder units like 27, but in the lower section of 23 its a bit more "in play".  The strut is triggered by the first full moon with  temps over 60 (don't qoute me, but its something like that).  The strut gets triggered,  Tom's will come out and breed hens. Birds will go back to roost, but the hens that didnt take, will be out for a second round with the toms.  AZGFD tries to catch the second cycle to maintian a population.  There's a "shotgun start" being they use the same start date for every unit.  The weather being the big factor in all of this.  Some units there's still snow on the ground, other units this temp might be in march or april, well before the strut hits. We had a good hunt in the lower half of 23 in the spring... 50/60-30/40... when toms gobble all day long.  And we have had spring hunts that are already in the 70'80s during the day without a sound. 

Fingers crossed the weather stays cooler for my 23 hunt this spring

• Like 1

Agree with everything said here, again wind is a big deal. It can be really frustrating not hearing birds with the wind, so take advantage of first light when the wind hasnt picked up yet. Also dont let the internet complicate calling for you. Keep it simple and dont call to much, be patient and listen.

• Like 1

"AZGFD tries to catch the second cycle to maintain a population."  This has always confused me.  G&F contradicts this by allowing killing of hens in the fall.   AZ is not a turkey rich state, and the killing of the baby makers should never be permitted IMO.

• Like 6

Never understood that as well leave the hens alone!  Allot get waxed in the fall not rocket science.

• Like 1