STOMP442

Want to hunt NM for Antelope

The wife and I are wanting to hunt Antelope in New Mexico this year. The more I read the more confused I get on what we need to do as far as being able to hunt. I know there are quite a few of you here on the forum that hunt there regularly. I am trying to figure out where to get a land owner tag, who to contact, best areas to go, that type of thing. All of my online searches end up leading to an outfitter site and I am not really wanting to do that. Not necessarily looking for giants but respectable goats and a good DIY time. Thanks for any help.

I was told that outfitters get better odds but now you must hunt with one you put in with one for two days of the hunt.

On 1/16/2023 at 1:15 PM, PRDATR said:

I was told that outfitters get better odds but now you must hunt with one you put in with one for two days of the hunt.

True but not for antelope.  Tags for antelope on private land are over the counter.  You just need access to private land.  Not outfitter required.  

• Like 1

On 1/21/2023 at 7:47 PM, Northern Pintail said:

True but not for antelope.  Tags for antelope on private land are over the counter.  You just need access to private land.  Not outfitter required.  

Are you referring to landowner tags where you buy the voucher from a landowner and then buy the tag OTC from Game and Fish?

On 1/21/2023 at 7:47 PM, Northern Pintail said:

True.  But...

95%+ of the landowners sell their trespass rights to guides.  Those guides turn around and sell to the hunters for pretty steep fees.  

Those that don't sell to guides are usually sold to the same people year after year.  

Honestly, good luck in finding a tag somewhere.  And make sure you have WRITTEN permission.  

Look at the regs for what units have tags.  I don't think the 23/24 regs are out yet.  I looked today.

• Like 3

Look on line, and look at craiglist a 3-6 months before the hunt starts.  There are owners out there that just sell a few tags.  Big ranches usually have outfitters and it will cost you a total probably around 3-5k.  Depending on the land size it can cost you from 1k-3k for a landowner tag.  You need to be diligent in searching.  I paid once for a outfitter the first time.  It was 4k.  So I searched and searched.  I got lucky a guy on a ranch of 50,000 acres was looking for quality safe, ethical hunters he can trust year after year.  He refuses outfitters.  That add came out on Muley Crazy.com.  after a google search.  He posted it 15min before and I quickly called him.  He is a great guy and he got to hand pick the people to hunt this land that he trust and its the same people every year.  So lots of email, lots of phone calls.  You might get lucky and find a good ranch at a good price.  Good luck  

• Like 2

Thank you guys for the tips so far. 

On 2/4/2023 at 10:11 PM, lancetkenyon said:

True.  But...

95%+ of the landowners sell their trespass rights to guides.  Those guides turn around and sell to the hunters for pretty steep fees.  

Those that don't sell to guides are usually sold to the same people year after year.  

Honestly, good luck in finding a tag somewhere.  And make sure you have WRITTEN permission.  

Look at the regs for what units have tags.  I don't think the 23/24 regs are out yet.  I looked today.

Nm regs have been out for a couple weeks.  The draw is even open

On 2/6/2023 at 5:45 PM, Northern Pintail said:

Nm regs have been out for a couple weeks.  The draw is even open

Yeah, I found them hidden in the interweb.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, Catalinacouesmstr said:

I am considering a public land DIY hunt for antelope in New Mexico. Any info on good units with a good success rate and decent draw odds would be greatly appreciated.

Any unit open to public hunting has fairly decent opportunity for success.   The “decent draw odds…” is where you’re going to have a very big challenge.   Prior to doing some digging to get connected into a ranch to hunt, I did quite a lot of research on the public draw.   VERY long odds no matter where you apply.  As with most states (AZ included), there are quotas that limit non-residents to a very small percentage of overall tags.

Have you dug deep into the New Mexico regulations?    The odds are listed there.  

Good luck!!!!

Edit  -  Here is the summary 2022 report: https://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/download/hunting/license-information/application-draw/odds/2022-Odds-Summary.pdf