Sign in to follow this  
hswenson@cox.net

Arizona Top 20 Non-Typical Coues Whitetail

I was lucky to take a 114 7/8" (5x7) Coues Whitetail in Arizona in 1991. It was at one time ranked at the 13th largest.

I'd like to see the record book for rifle non-typical coues whitetail.

Sorry about the picture. I don't know how to straighten it.

Coues.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations on a great and unique buck!  However, you are likely mistaken about it having ever been "ranked the 13th largest" non-typical.  If your handle is your name, there is not a deer entered in the current edition with the last name Swenson anywhere near that score in the typical or non-typical section.  If you never entered it, it was never "ranked" at any position and the score was never an official score. Also, the minimum for entry to the "rifle" record book for Arizona NT Coues' deer had always been 115, even back in the 1990 edition of the book when yours was taken, and there were more than 13 entries at that time that exceeded the 115 minimum.  So, your buck would not have qualified for entry to the record book, although it would have been very close if that were its actual score as measured by an official measurer and it was accepted when you entered it.

Just a few years ago, they lowered the minimum down to 107 and only one buck under 115 has been entered since the minimum was lowered.  If your buck does actually score above 107, you should have it officially scored and enter it.  If you don't, there is really no point in knowing where it "would" rank, if it was officially scored, and if it was officially entered and it was officially accepted at that score.  

Records of Arizona Big Game

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1

18 minutes ago, StickFlicker said:

Congratulations on a great and unique buck!  However, you are likely mistaken about it having ever been "ranked the 13th largest" non-typical.  If your handle is your name, there is not a deer entered in the current edition with the last name Swenson anywhere near that score in the typical or non-typical section.  If you never entered it, it was never "ranked" at any position and the score was never an official score. Also, the minimum for entry to the "rifle" record book for Arizona NT Coues' deer had always been 115, even back in the 1990 edition of the book when yours was taken, and there were more than 13 entries at that time that exceeded the 115 minimum.  So, your buck would not have qualified for entry to the record book, although it would have been very close if that were its actual score as measured by an official measurer and it was accepted when you entered it.

Just a few years ago, they lowered the minimum down to 107 and only one buck under 115 has been entered since the minimum was lowered.  If your buck does actually score above 107, you should have it officially scored and enter it.  If you don't, there is really no point in knowing where it "would" rank, if it was officially scored, and if it was officially entered and it was officially accepted at that score.  

Records of Arizona Big Game

Wow nice guy

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, wish2hunt said:

Wow nice guy

Well better to understand and know the reality than live in a fantasy world. Yep was a bit cut and dried but I found it interesting to know the facts. 

• Like 8

this is why many never have their animals scored or bother to enter them in any record book

• Like 4

4 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

I haven’t seen a beating like that since someone stuck a banana down my pants and turned a monkey loose. 

Well played. 

For everyone “negging” on the response…why would you try to shut down a possible 20 pager?

• Haha 2

That's a beautiful buck!  

I don't think the response is too bad, but a little long.  

I only posted one picture of archery bucks I've taken.  I took it down soon after.  I only put it up because I was sick of the" you should have let it grow" comments. They were directed at another buck.  

Just saying I've seen much  more negative responses than this one.  which really is not too bad at all.

Again real pretty buck.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2023 at 7:43 PM, AZLance said:

this is why many never have their animals scored or bother to enter them in any record book

Nah.... many never enter them because once they get their exaggerated outfitter campfire whiskey score there's no need to know what it really scores. Ed F

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, BOWUNTR said:

Nah.... many never enter them because once they get their exaggerated outfitter campfire whiskey score there's no need to know what it really scores. Ed F

Campfire whiskey scores are the new standard...all my bucks make book when the whiskey is flowing. LoL

• Like 3
  • Haha 1