Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

In Reach?

Quick question.

What is the best value or option for an In Reach satelite type device? I probably should invest in 1, and since I am doing my first solo type hunt with my youngish type kids this weekend I probably should do it now. 

Garmin InReach Mini 2? 

i like the mini2  personally. i like having separate gps, phone etc.   the mini syncs with your phone for easy texting etc. weighs nothing and has a long battery life.  

have thought about upgrading to the all in one but just cant get myself to do it. 

mine is primarily for emergencies but i do use it for simple communications as well. and messages between other inreach users are free.  

1 hour ago, AzDiamondHeat said:

i like the mini2  personally. i like having separate gps, phone etc.   the mini syncs with your phone for easy texting etc. weighs nothing and has a long battery life.  

have thought about upgrading to the all in one but just cant get myself to do it. 

mine is primarily for emergencies but i do use it for simple communications as well. and messages between other inreach users are free.  

+1 on this. 

I carried the mini inreach and it was good to go like the others say. It will cost you about a $35 activation fee then like $13 a month for the cheapest plan when I had it. The text messaging is nice, especially when its linked through your phone. I have since sold it and now have a iPhone 14 as a secondary phone along with my android. The iPhone has the SOS built into it, I have not tried it yet. Down fall with the iPhone, no satellite text.

In reach here as well. Usually activate it August thru February.   Satellite texting is pretty awesome and relatively inexpensive.  

• Like 1

The garmin mini is slick.  Have been using one for a couple of years for hunting, ATV, fishing, etc.  Works as advertised and is so nice and small/convenient to keep with your gear.

I am not tempted by the all in one GPS with inreach as I use OnX for almost all of what I used to use a GPS for.

I ended up with a Garmin Mini 2. Seems good so far. I used it several times this weekend to check in with my wife when I was out of cell range.

• Like 2

I download maps and run OnX in offline mode on my iphone with the cell service turned off.  Haven't used a dedicated GPS in years.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2023 at 2:23 PM, bojangles said:

Anyone use the new iPhone for gps?  Supposedly has sat options.

I have heard that but don't know if the actual service has been rolled out and implemented yet?