Big or Bust

What's for dinner tonight?

1 minute ago, trphyhntr said:

Pretty good eating. Boston cream pie next 

how many LBs are you down during the cut. down 7 LBs for summer

15 minutes ago, SwarovskiCoues said:

how many LBs are you down during the cut. down 7 LBs for summer

Just ate half a Barros pizza. Probably up 5lbs 

Forgot to take pictures, but made pastrami and smoked corn on the cob.  Here is a picture from the last time I made pastrami.  This one turned out similar.

IMG_20221204_160415466.jpg

• Like 6
  • Wow! 1

1 hour ago, stanley said:

Downside of sticking with my old garage sale smoker is that it won’t fit a whole brisket! 😭 Had to cut off the short end. (Will smoke it separately tomorrow night…)

Stanley,

Don't hesitate to experiment with "overstuffing" your smoker with a brisket you think may not fit.

I've seen where people place the entire brisket (fat cap down) on a round smoker like yours, while tucking in as much as possible.

After some cooking hours, the brisket shrinks to fit with no damage done.

You can also try this...

sddefault.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, galiuro mountain man said:

Forgot to take pictures, but made pastrami and smoked corn on the cob.  Here is a picture from the last time I made pastrami.  This one turned out similar.

IMG_20221204_160415466.jpg

What’s your meat prep? I’ve done it a few times and have always done a brine/cure on the brisket for 7-10 days then smoke and steam. Curious how it’s supposed to be done?

No pictures, but London broil in the pressur cooker with pepperoncinis, ranch packet, half mashed taters, mushrooms and gravy. Fantastic. 

22 hours ago, muledeerarea33? said:

What’s your meat prep? I’ve done it a few times and have always done a brine/cure on the brisket for 7-10 days then smoke and steam. Curious how it’s supposed to be done?

I do it the same way, but I cheat most of the time and buy a corned beef.  Last few I haven't steamed, and the flavor is better I think.  I just debrine for 3 hours in fresh water (1.5 hours then change water and do it again) because it is way too salty without steaming.  I use a salt free seasoning of pepper, garlic, onion, and such.  

For smoking, I do it just like any brisket.  I build a good bark, then wrap it in butcher paper.  During the smoke I let it go for about 2 to 2.5 hours then spritz with water and low salt beef broth.  I can get an idea of what the meat is going to be like before I wrap it. Yesterday I wrapped at 175 or so, about 8 hours in.

The one I did yesterday was going to be dry on one side (wasn't much marbling) so when I wrapped it, I added about 1/3 cup of smoked tallow I got from my last brisket trimmings.  This helped the dry side and the whole thing turned out super tender and not overly salty.  I pulled it from the smoker at 200 and let it rest outside while I did the corn.  After over an hour the temp was a touch over 150, so moved inside and cut it.

The first one I did without steaming, I did not debrine and it was way too salty.  There was nothing to help work some of the salt out.  

• Like 3

On 6/24/2023 at 8:22 PM, Chef said:

IMG_2242.jpeg

IMG_2248.jpeg

Chef, my sister makes octopus tacos, parboiled, then grilled.  Going to make yours next time I see her.

• Like 2

One of my favs on smoker is standing rib roast / prime rib or for fast eats is smoking a tri tip amd reverse sear.

• Like 1