Sign in to follow this  
Couzer

Clothing Gear for Alaska?

Headed to AK in a week with my 10 year old boy to do some halibut and salmon fishing. Just looking for any tips on clothing/gear recommendations for the ocean and river fishing? All the fishing gear will be provided, just want to better prepare myself. 

TIA

• Like 3

We went to Sitka last summer and are headed back in a couple of weeks. It was wet all of the time. We took merino wool base layers, mid weight waterproof coat, waterproof boots and 2 extra flannel shirts, extra pair of jeans, underwear and socks.  We had access to a washer and dryer so we didn't take a lot of extras. The charter supplied overalls and rubber boots. Temps were in the mid 50's but what little the sun shone it warmed up quick. Expect damp/wet conditions and good luck!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, creed said:

We went to Sitka last summer and are headed back in a couple of weeks. It was wet all of the time. We took merino wool base layers, mid weight waterproof coat, waterproof boots and 2 extra flannel shirts, extra pair of jeans, underwear and socks.  We had access to a washer and dryer so we didn't take a lot of extras. The charter supplied overalls and rubber boots. Temps were in the mid 50's but what little the sun shone it warmed up quick. Expect damp/wet conditions and good luck!

Thanks for the info Creed, this gives me a better perspective.

Been fishing there for 27 trips all over. I wear jeans and short rubber boots, wool shirt, coat and Helly Hansen or Grundens raingear. The raingear is the most important part. Sitka can be warm and beautiful or pouring down rain. Love fishing there for salmon, halibut and huge lingcod. You will have a blast.

• Like 2

it was 62° and sunny here in Homer yesterday, today was 56° and light rain... so be prepared for both

• Like 1

I wore frogtogg waterproof bibs and sitka rain rain jacket. It rained everyday for 6 days and I never got wet. For gloves I used insulated rubber gloves like they use in frozen food warehouses.  Have fun! Its beautiful 

• Like 1

I just got back from Soldotna doing the same fishing trip. Had a blast. Weather was perfect, I think the highest temp we saw was like 74 degrees. We just packed layers and made sure we had some sort of rain gear. I honestly just wore jeans and a long sleeve shirt with my kings jacket for the early mornings on the river. I packed a back pack with an extra hoody and a pair of frog togs just in case we needed them. Never did. Seriously thought about selling the house, quitting my job and never leaving that place. It was absolutely amazing. 

Alaska 1.jpg

Me Alaska 1.jpg

Terry Alaska 1.jpg

Alaska Ocean.jpg

• Like 9

6 hours ago, TR0UBLE SH00TER said:

man in thong fishing for Sale OFF 79%

Socks are optional, of course.

Looks cold I guess

• Haha 1

Awesome thanks guys, I'll be sure to post pics in a few weeks when I get back. 

was out of Homer for Halibut today... jeans and a hoodie were perfect... I wore frog toggs when the rain came. been beautiful weather!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Couesnut said:

Helly Hanson rain gear....Never will fail

Great choice. Expensive. Worth the cost if you live there year round but not practical to buy for a week trip that will probably never ever happen again. Buy some Frogg Toggs off of Amazon and return them when you get back.

• Like 1