corkin it

35a early December

Good afternoon all, finally drew a December hunt! Took 5 points and I’m super excited. I’m from NM and can’t seem to draw a hunt here. I’ve been in 36 for years but the drug traffic has gotten really bad there. I heard it’s much lighter in 35 so I put in. According to the azgf website it’s a good unit for coues. I usually bivy up in the hills. Any advice you guys have on illegal traffic and a starting point to scout would be greatly appreciated. Coues are my top 3 animals to hunt. Absolutely love glassing. Thank you, Jake

Get away from roads and you should be fine. If you like to bivy in the hills and glass you should be able to find bucks. 

there’s illegal traffic there like any of the border units, but I haven’t seen as much in 35a as I have in the 36s. Probably depends on specific locations and maybe not any less activity. 

• Like 1

Any place south of I-8 has traffic. Elevation doesn't matter. They go deeper farther from roads than any hunters. Been that way for 40 years.

• Like 1

Even seen illegals near Patagonia State Park, Like anyplace else, some will have more or less.  I have hunted SW of the Town of Patagonia and NW of the lake.  See guys take a boat across Patagonia Lake and hunt on foot that way.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, n2horns said:

Even seen illegals near Patagonia State Park, Like anyplace else, some will have more or less.  I have hunted SW of the Town of Patagonia and NW of the lake.  See guys take a boat across Patagonia Lake and hunt on foot that way.

Thats 34a

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Thats 34a

Illegals dont care what unit they hare in, LOL thanks for the correct, 

21 minutes ago, AZLance said:

unit 35a&b are the meth highway now

Heard the cabeza prieta is wfo rn. But maybe that’s mainly people smuggling 

Just a newbie on this forum, but have hunted southern Arizona for half a century. This year my wife, son and I will be hunting 35A for the first time in Nov. IMO you shouldnt worry about the illegal traffic...just hunt. If you hike the back country (hint: The Arizona Trails run through the unit, Canelo Hills to Parker canyon Lake and beyond), you wont have a problem and you WILL see some great Coues country. Good luck with your hunt.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, thegunsmith2506 said:

I heard that 30a and 31 were pretty bad now too. Is that true?

Since Biden I'd imagine they are all pretty bad now.  On the east side of 35a I've seen tons of dudes but never yet carrying bales on there backs.  

No bails anymore , now they get runners amp up on meth , like speedy Gonzalez and run Fentanyl   Had some great talks with BP . Just remember! They have spotters , with great glass . They are always watching you 

• Like 2