Ohthatguy

A thank you to AZGFD

6 hours ago, TOBY said:

You want a medal or a chest to pin it on? 1-1/2 slippy slide coupling and a male adapter and some red hot glue. And channel locks.

always one guy^^^

15 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

Cameras were fun and a great reason to get out in the woods even in units we weren’t hunting. It made us want to go out and check them. Without them i don’t have much of a reason to go out there without tags to scout with. 

It wasn’t just about scouting, it was just good old fashioned fun. And yes we’d fix stuff pretty often as well, the best we could.

Absolutely  true ^^ back when  we could  run cameras  I'd usually  be out in the woods  about  every  3 or 4 weeks  checking things and replacing  salt and minerals.  It was always  fun to find a new spot and see just what may be hitting.  The big downside  was the cost of all the stolen  cameras and broken  lock boxes. I've had as many  as 6 taken at one time. I don't  get the time I use to have to go out In the woods  due to work doubling  my schedule  for the week.  I do miss the excitement  of let's see what we got here  but like that it's not costing  me a few hundred  bucks in stolen  gear .  The op has a point  the ban has probably  taken alot of guys outa the woods a little  more than normal  and I can see how there could  be some downside  to it but you can and should  do some  pre scouting  before  your hunt.

• Like 3

“The op has a point  the ban has probably  taken alot of guys outa the woods a little  more than normal  and I can see how there could  be some downside  to it but you can and should  do some  pretty scouting  before  your hunt.”

I’m not sure that’s a bad thing really.  Most of the camera checking I had seen was guys buzzing around in SxSs or trucks…..driving straight to the water hole, no walking in, no early mornings, or late afternoons.    I don’t miss seeing the clutter and  seeing  lag bolts run into healthy trees myself. A little more woodmanship is required once again.

2 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

Yeah the guys checking cams were the ones tearing up the woods on side by sides….

thats absurd.

Some were. Some weren’t. Ban sxs next! 😬

• Like 3

What the heck did everybody do before cameras were even a thing? Jesus. I take every chance I can to get out in the woods, places I've never been, etc., and I've never bothered to own a camera. Either you want to be in the woods or you don't, but it's not the camera bans fault that a drinker broke, and nobody fixed it until now. 

• Like 2

The outdoors has never been more intruded here in Az as it currently is........and very few of the population actually take the time to take care of anything amiss out there. Kudos to any of you that have taken the time to make things better than the way they were when you arrived.

I have blamed the ban on my fewer trips to the forest but honestly the price of gas has caused me more conflict than the ban.......I have also lost more cameras since the ban than all the years previous combined. Is the ban the cause of this coincidence? No idea.

Our last trip to Alpine, that little stretch of 191 between Nutrioso and the summit I saw 6 rigs parked on the side of the road glassing that long burn ridge on the backside of Noble Mt........ "pre scouting" I suppose. I'd like to blame the ban on all of that additional traffic too but honestly what bugs me more than people scouting on the highway is sxs 10 in a group seeing how fast they can go around the corner or how loud they can play their music...................

Bottom line.......there is just too dam many people out in the woods these days.......and I am thankful to still be able to get out there and be one of them.........

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

SXS are great. I love mine. I don't use it to road hunt though. They push the animals away from roads. Works for me 

• Haha 1

you guys act as if hunters quit using cameras... lol... they just got better at hiding them

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Only use the sxs for travel  into or out of some places. It is used for haul out on elk for sure . I'd agree  about some sxs used  in the woods  . There are alot of clubs and such that run  trails  with big groups and most will have radios  blasting  or piped for performance.  I don't  think  it's the average  hunter making  all the noise most go slow and are looking  for the elk or deer that seem  to just appear  and disappear.  I do miss my 2000 Honda 350 rancher it was quiet 🤫  and great on Gass putting around  but enjoy the ability  to get in and out with  my dad and his buddy  for  elk and such.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AZLance said:

you guys act as if hunters quit using cameras... lol... they just got better at hiding them

Way less.... most of everyone I know quit using them

• Like 1