Sign in to follow this  
PRDATR

September is Prostrate Awareness Month

If you are 45 years or older you need to get checked every year. Both the DRE (AKA bend over, Digital Rectal Exam) with the glove by your Doc and have blood drawn and have the PSA (Prostrate-Specific Antigen) test done.

Especially if you have occasional trouble peeing or get a sharp pain deep up in the butt sometimes. Caught early it can be treated by a lot of ways including removal, and a bunch of different types of radiation. If it goes unchecked eventually it will burst out of the prostrate into the lymph nodes, pelvic and spine bones, bladder, lungs and brain.

It's not "The Good Cancer" or "Slow Growing". People do die from it all the time. 1 in 8 men will get it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Funny when I asked about it thinking it was 45 my doc said 50...of course that's a govt doc too so maybe some cost-saving measure there.

Agree with not letting it go though...friend in his 50s had trouble peeing as his only symptom and ended up with pretty advanced cancer.that luckily has responded to surgery and treatment.

15 minutes ago, bigorange said:

Funny when I asked about it thinking it was 45 my doc said 50...of course that's a govt doc too so maybe some cost-saving measure there.

Agree with not letting it go though...friend in his 50s had trouble peeing as his only symptom and ended up with pretty advanced cancer.that luckily has responded to surgery and treatment.

Supposedly the threshold has changed from 45 to 50. The doc we had the last 12 years retired last year and our new younger doc told me this so I had to demand it and it wasn’t covered under the annual wellness bloodwork

• Like 1

Can you be put under so you dont feel it, or are you awake like when it happens in prison?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, bigorange said:

In case anyone needs to be told they are killing us on purpose.  Keep putting all the chemicals and sugar in your body and you’ll be a goner.  They don’t want you to live to a ripe ole age.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, bustedknuckleinc said:

In case anyone needs to be told they are killing us on purpose.  Keep putting all the chemicals and sugar in your body and you’ll be a goner.  They don’t want you to live to a ripe ole age.

Actually they want you to live long, they want you SICK and ALIVE that is the only way they make money.

My father in-law just died from prostate cancer. He had a rare form that PSA tests don't catch, and he had stage 4 prostate cancer that moved into his pelvis and hip bones before they caught it. 

He even had a bladder surgery a couple years ago and they didn't see anything wrong when they had him open. 

He lived about 1.5yr post diagnosis, but they couldn't really do anything to treat it. 

11 hours ago, bustedknuckleinc said:

True to an extent. Eating fewer processed foods like lunchmeat, hot dogs canned veggies is wise. I don't believe there is a concerted conspiracy to undermine everyone's general health. Modern Medicine no more knows what cause prostrate cancer than it does breast cancer. I would venture to say in part some may be genetically predisposed. In the two groups I became part of in the last few years after my diagnosis there have been a few men whose father also had it.

I will add that five of my childhood friends who lived within a block of either direction also  had/have it. Many men just get treated for it and never tell anyone, pride? Stigmatism?