azphil

First timer

After his first deer hunt last year (unsuccessful) I put my grandson in for the youth hunt. He drew a cow tag in 4A. We scouted a couple of times and he was excited to see them up close. We got there on Wed before the hunt and drove some roads and saw elk. Thursday am I woke him up and there were elk 75 yds. from camp- he was shocked. That evening drove around and saw more elk.

Friday- opening morning we left camp and were into elk but too far away for a shot. We tried following them but couldn't catch up with their quick walk. That evening hunt we didn't see anything.

Saturday - AM hunt was uneventful but we did help another group with some tracking but trail was lost. PM hunt driving to where we were going to sit a herd ran across the road about 200 yds ahead of us and dropped into a steep draw area. I told him that's where we were going to sit for the evening as I figured they would come back up there to graze and hit water. After sitting there we heard some cow yelps and moved 250 yds towards the sound. after a few minutes I spotted a cow starting thru a small clearing. It went thru too quickly. The next one by was a spike. Another cow stepped into the clearing and stopped - he was steady and drawn as I waited for the shot- didn't happen. I think we had a slight case of buck fever- that was all we saw of that small group. A few minutes later we heard bugling and cows where we were initially and headed back over there. The herd was moving back across the road where they had first crossed and dropped into another draw. I told him we probably wouldn't catch up but he was insistent to follow. We ended up a ways from the road and they had stopped in another meadow area. We slow footed towards them and ended up about 100 yds from the herd. We waited for a cow to enter a clearing and the rest is history - except for the quartering and pack out. Congrats Mason Burns    

Mason elk.jpg

• Like 39

His instict to not shoot when he had the fever and to pursue when he felt it was right sounds like he has many successful hunts in his future, near and far. Great job, Phil and Mason!

• Like 6

I bet he has that fire now!! Nice job! 

• Like 1

Great write up and a happy kid. Nice to see a wood stocked rifle every once in a while with a well worn muzzle.

Mason used my 50 year old wood stocked Remington 700 ADL in 30.06. My handloads were Hornady 150 gr interlocks. He took a head on shot at 90 yds and hit upper chest area. She went about 15 yards and dropped there. Thanks for all the positive replies.

• Like 1

This is what it's all about man... Good for him.