n2horns

Anyone use Power Tank to air up/down?

Been looking at getting a power tank to air up/down truck tires.   Kinda spendy, but it is very portable.  I have used other air compressor before, but had issues when truck is fully loaded to inflate the tires.  Also a plus is the ability to run air tools to make removing tire nuts easier and quicker.

https://powertank.com/collections/10lb-power-tank

Following... I think it will be a useful item specially for those pulling travel trailers, toy houlers and their toys etc?

I use a nitrogen tank from the HVAC industry. Not quite as good as a power tank but it works and is cheap to fill. 

I don't use it to run air tools, I have battery impacts and tools. I usually bring it on trips when I have the trailer. 

I would look at an ARB compressor with small tank too. My buddy has one mounted under the passenger seat of his Tacoma and loves it. 

Seems pricey for its use. I carry a charged pancake compressor that does fine for much cheaper

• Like 1

I have one of this and they work great for filling tires. I got it used from a buddy after he sold his jeep.  ( i got a  very good deal or these have gone way up in price after lookingat the link) I usually it on flats tires. I have never ran air tools on it yet, although they say you can. You fill it up at the welding shop. I can't remember the psi it is fill it or the cost. I don't use it often enough due to its bulk and weight. I have only emptied it twice because I end up putting it on the floor board by the back seat and just gets in the way. They  sell very good mounting brackets, but I haven't found a location that I want it to be permanently. I'm going to just run a smaller on board air system. But they do work great and fast on tires. Jeep guys used to love them.

Another PITA about these things besides the crazy cost is the tank recertification. Probably every 5 years if the same as oxy. I ran my oxy tank out and needed to cut some heavy steel where my plasma cutting leads wouldn’t reach. They wouldn’t exchange tank because past the certification date. They told me about a week for the test. Took them over a month to get it back to me

8 hours ago, eddielasvegas said:

How many tires can it air up on one battery charge?

Eddie

In my test at home I took a flat at like 7 psi to 30+ in just over 10 minutes. The 4amp battery didn’t seem phased and I bet you could run 20+ psi in four tires or more on half a charge, so long as you’re not in a  hurry…the unit got pretty hot and if I would have given it time to cool if I was doing more. It is a little more time efficient than the 12V compressor I have stashed under the seat in my truck and much easier to deploy. i’m sure it’s not as slick as the unit the OP is asking about but it does the job. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sky Island junkie said:

Another PITA about these things besides the crazy cost is the tank recertification. Probably every 5 years if the same as oxy. I ran my oxy tank out and needed to cut some heavy steel where my plasma cutting leads wouldn’t reach. They wouldn’t exchange tank because past the certification date. They told me about a week for the test. Took them over a month to get it back to me

You need to find a new welding shop. Mine exchanged anything

1 hour ago, catclaw said:

You need to find a new welding shop. Mine exchanged anything

I’m 40 miles from the closest one to me so I trusted what they told me. 30 years and I’ve never had one tell me to go get it certified but then again I’d never paid attn to the date stamp. This power tanks website says it will need to be certified every 5 years and I’m assuming no exchange so probably will have a waiting period for that