Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Tragedy and blame

Having been involved with coaching, camps, activities, trips and endless hours of time spent trying to help kids, it is sad to see that "blame" has to work its way into the picture. The tragedy is loss of a young life, but does this type of action solve anything? They eye catcher for me was G$F got pulled into this game.

https://www.12news.com/amp/article/news/local/valley/family-of-teen-who-drowned-at-show-low-lake-plans-to-sue/75-9eef3d8d-be28-4da4-9d08-199c1ed5ba8d

Family of teen who drowned at Show Low Lake during football camp trip plans to sue for $50 million

15-year-old Christopher Hampton was attending football camp when the team was taken to Show Low Lake where he drowned.

Author: Haley Williams
Published: 10:36 PM MST October 26, 2023
Updated: 10:36 PM MST October 26, 2023

PHOENIX — The family of a 15-year-old who drowned at Show Low Lake while at football camp is planning to sue for $50 million, according to a notice of claim obtained by 12News. 

Christopher Hampton, a student at Cesar Chavez High School, went missing on the lake on July 17 and his body was found the next day at the bottom of the lake.

Lawyers for Hampton's family said in the document that Show Low lake is designated as "non-swimming," and blames several different entities for the tragic death including the school, the school district, the coach and assistant principal, the City of Show Low and Arizona Game & Fish.

"Chris' death wasn't just a preventable one, it was caused by the gross negligence of the adults who were responsible of taking care of him," the notice of claim states. "It is difficult to imagine more careless behavior by adults tasked with ensuring the safety of minors, than herding them into a dangerous mountain lake with zero supervision and zero safety measures."

The notice said the City of Show Low and Arizona Game & Fish officials are "well aware that large groups of kids go swimming in the lake despite the dangerous conditions."

• Wow! 2

I guess he couldn’t read either! Signs everywhere. Tragic event but $50 million won’t bring him back.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

coach should be hung, 

Pretty bold statement unless you know way more than that write up gives.   heck at 15 yrs old I was sneaking out of the house and partying with all my football buddies.  Good thing nothing horrible like this ever happened to any of us.  Hope the family can find some peace.  

1 hour ago, grey curse said:

Pretty bold statement unless you know way more than that write up gives.   heck at 15 yrs old I was sneaking out of the house and partying with all my football buddies.  Good thing nothing horrible like this ever happened to any of us.  Hope the family can find some peace.  

yeah, you’re right. the head coach didn’t have any responsibility supervising the kids. 

14 hours ago, CouesFanatic said:

They are from the valley, enough said

Sound logic. How about the tonto basin folks a few years back?

Unfortunate all around. 

• Like 1

"herding them into a dangerous mountain lake with zero supervision and zero safety measures". 

Strong words.  

They eye catcher for me was G$F got pulled into this game.

Jurisdiction.  Normally it is where it happened.  Sue the State or State Agency and by law original jurisdiction is Maricopa County.

If you were a plaintiff's attorney would you want a Navajo County jury or a Maricopa County jury hearing the case?  Ok likelihood of trial is about 0 percent but.

20 hours ago, Sky Island junkie said:

I’m not from that part of the state so I’ve not heard that lake is dangerous to swim in. Why?

If you're ignorant enough to jump in a lake knowing full well ya can't swim, a wading pool could be lethal.

I'm wondering if there's a possibility this was a suicide? 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Edge said:

If you're ignorant enough to jump in a lake knowing full well ya can't swim, a wading pool could be lethal.

I'm wondering if there's a possibility this was a suicide? 

Wtf seriously? Did you read the article?

• Haha 1

Sad part is someone's  life is over. Even worse  is some lawyers  are looking  for a big$$$ payout and will  drag anyone  that they think will  pay out into this so they hopefully  can get a payout. Just think about  all the  people  that drown in pleasant  or any other lake . Most lakes aren't  dangerous  to swim  in they are dangerous  for those  that can't  swim  due to sudden  drop-off. 

• Like 1

Deepest pockets, its now a money grab. Crazy part my whole life I was told not to swim in the rim lakes do to under water hazards, I take no worse then the saltvriver. Anyway now everyone and there mother are on paddle boards tubes , . What ever happened to being responsible for your own actions. Trajic accident and I have know clue what the outcome will be. Tonto Basin was flat out stupid parents. People say they should have done jail time, loosing your kids is probably worse. My deal is 4 kids die , there better be one parent with them. But hay just bought a new truck that tells me to check back seat for valuables and children. WTF is more important then your child, oh ya your phone. Sad days .Only my opinion. Proceed

• Like 4