Sign in to follow this  
Eli

Black Friday buck

I won the lottery this year and drew a late 12AW rifle tag. This fall has been a mess with a lot of family things going on, including my father in law having a stroke, so it’s been very touch and go season hunting wise. I knew going in I didn’t have the full season to hunt so I tried to keep my expectations reasonable. 

@buglethemin came through and made the trip up, giving up family time and spending thanksgiving in a tent. We saw some huge bucks scouting. Opening morning we saw some does where we had seen a monster buck with does the night before. The does were moving down a finger. We followed the does out, and saw a few smaller bucks and this guy in some oak thickets, but we didn’t get a real good look at him but could tell from the body he was big. They fed down the finger and down the slope to a draw to our right, then up the slope of the next finger. There was a clearing about 175 yards away and he stepped out and we got a better look at him. I decided he was the deer for me, and took the shot. He dropped, and I put another in to be sure. Just like that, the hunt was done. Could not be happier with this guy and can’t wait to go back some day. 

IMG_2916.jpeg

IMG_2912.jpeg

• Like 35
  • Wow! 5

4 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Big buck. That buglethemin guy is a hammer. 

Yeah, he’s been good luck for me for sure 

Great buck! The bodies on those deer up there are something else. Hopefully you were able to drag downhill.

How was the pressure? Sounded like the early hunt didn't have the typical traffic. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Great buck! The bodies on those deer up there are something else. Hopefully you were able to drag downhill.

How was the pressure? Sounded like the early hunt didn't have the typical traffic. 

Thank you, it was a horse! Luckily it wasn’t too bad a pack out. 

The pressure wasn’t bad. There was only that one recent snow a few days prior to opener so the deer were still transitioning which kept them (and I think the pressure) spread out. Most of the deer we saw were still around 7k feet and they hadn’t fully moved out to the flats yet. We didn’t see the expected guide glassing groups either 

• Like 2

How many points did you have going into the draw?

2 hours ago, 452b264 said:

How many points did you have going into the draw?

Not a lot, I drew in the random not the bonus pass