Sign in to follow this  
ctafoya

New mechanic starting out

My second oldest is out of the Navy and looking to transition to civilian work. He wrenched on equipment for the last 6 years, so he's not "new" but is starting from scratch with his own tools. He just picked up a box and is now looking to acquire tools. What are good options these days? I have a healthy mix of Snap on, Huskey, Craftsman, ETC, but I do not make my living wrenching. Milwaukee is starting to step it up with the stuff I have been buying lately for work but what is quality these days? He doesn't want to overspend, but he also wants to be taken seriously and not buy cheap tools. Thanks in advance for any input. 

Snap on and Macco are the industry standard, but I would say if it ain't broke don't fix it. Use what works and can afford and work up.

Thank him for his service.

• Thanks 1

As a former ag mechanic I ran alot of matco mac and snapon but did use some older craftsman, gearwrench ratchet wrenches and alot of my 1/4" drive stuff was also gear wrench. Alot of my bigger sockets were grey pneumatic which are pretty decent for the money. The normal tool trucks do usually run specials on stuff as well. 

• Thanks 1

No idea, but I have some leaks on my diesel. No idea what, but I think a fuel leak from the fuel filter. If he ever comes to Tucson, I'd happily have him check the truck out. 

• Like 2

Does he really want to turn wrenches? He is a veteran, he should really try get a entry level job with the federal or local government where he gets a slight advantage over civilians. That's my opinion (someone who turned wrenches for over 20 years). If that's what he wants then I would say any big set he can find (I used craftsman) and buy specialty tools from the tool trucks. Or find the knock off version online. Tool trucks are convenient though.

• Like 2

Tell him not to finance his life to the tool trucks. Buy the specific tools he needs, not all the crap he doesn't. With the internet for research you can often find out who is building some of the Snap-On stuff for them and buy basically the same stuff cheaper somewhere else. 

Some stuff will have to come off the trucks if he really is going to make his living with tools, but owing the trucks $$$ forever isn't the best answer sometimes.

• Like 1

If they haven't changed, Proto was my go to for most common tools.  Quality stuff, less cost than the trucks, lifetime warranty, and the big one: made in USA.

Haven't had to buy tools for work in a while, so I don't know price or anything that tool mfg are doing.  

As much as I hate to say this, Harbor Freight.  He can get some cheap tools to get by with and their Icon line is just as good as Snap On.  Quality, fit and finish is great! Lifetime warranty, too. The prices are low compared to the tool trucks. 

Specialty tools can be found on Amazon and eBay for a savings compared to the tool trucks.

Have him check Facebook Marketplace, Offer Up, Craigslist, and Pawn Shops for good used tools like Blackhawk, Proto, Snap On, Matco, Mac, and Cornwell.  They all have lifetime warranties.

Craftsman Professional series works well, but warranty issues may be a problem with Sears not being around.  I guess Ace Hardware warranties them, but their selection is limited.

If he does his homework, he won't have to be a slave to the tool trucks.  Years ago that's all that was there.

Oh, and have him buy a used tool box.  A new shiny tool box is attractive, but the prices are ridiculous!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wildwoody said:

Ya tool trucks are ridiculous, Hunters diagnostic scanner was $4500

That's why they charge 100 150 per hour.

I owned a MATCO business years ago and for a guy starting out I would recommend buying all the professional used stuff you can, hard line stuff just warranty it out on a truck. And harbor freight has come along way.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2023 at 3:17 PM, Lucafu1 said:

Does he really want to turn wrenches? He is a veteran, he should really try get a entry level job with the federal or local government where he gets a slight advantage over civilians. That's my opinion (someone who turned wrenches for over 20 years). If that's what he wants then I would say any big set he can find (I used craftsman) and buy specialty tools from the tool trucks. Or find the knock off version online. Tool trucks are convenient though.

I think government work would be worth him considering. I'm more familiar with municipalities but here are some considerations that might be applicable depending on organization:
- Most large cities have public works departments and the need to maintain not just passenger vehicles but industrial vehicles too like solid waste (garbage) trucks, etc.
- Steady work with a consistent schedule and holidays off or holiday pay.
- Health insurance
- Retirement plan (not as generous as it used to be but still better than nothing).
- Ability to buy back military time as prior gov't service with pre-tax dollars, payroll deduction and once bought back this will give him 6 years of service in the municipal retirement plan (usually Arizona State Retirement System unless Phoenix or Tucson).
-Room for advancement into supervision/mgmt
-Training/Education benefits
-Tools?  I don't know if they supply tools or not.
-Hourly rate (usually less than pvt. sector but with the reduction in fringe benefits, it might be closer than they used to be).

Just some thoughts for your boy to consider.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimmer Negamanee said:

I think government work would be worth him considering. I'm more familiar with municipalities but here are some considerations that might be applicable depending on organization:
- Most large cities have public works departments and the need to maintain not just passenger vehicles but industrial vehicles too like solid waste (garbage) trucks, etc.
- Steady work with a consistent schedule and holidays off or holiday pay.
- Health insurance
- Retirement plan (not as generous as it used to be but still better than nothing).
- Ability to buy back military time as prior gov't service with pre-tax dollars, payroll deduction and once bought back this will give him 6 years of service in the municipal retirement plan (usually Arizona State Retirement System unless Phoenix or Tucson).
-Room for advancement into supervision/mgmt
-Training/Education benefits
-Tools?  I don't know if they supply tools or not.
-Hourly rate (usually less than pvt. sector but with the reduction in fringe benefits, it might be closer than they used to be).

Just some thoughts for your boy to consider.

Best part im sure they are only M-F if its Gov.

Buy the high tech electronic tools he needs off the truck. He can buy great tools online but it is convenient to deal with tool warranties in person on the truck. He should research becoming a Caterpiller tech. My brother in law is a Cat tech and has been sent to all kinds of training . He works on Cat engines and heavy equipment in a big clean shop with all the right tools and equipment.

• Like 2