Sign in to follow this  
Crazymonkey

Cummins emissions recall ?

So what's the scoop on the cummins  ? I hear they got  a major fine for cheat codes on the 6.7 diesel.  I just got the recall notification  for my 2018 . Is this a mandatory  fix ? Like I won't  be able  to get my tags for next year without  the re- flash or am I still  good.  Anyone  have the re flash done yet? What are the impacts  to the truck . Hurt milage ,power, or increase  in Def usage? Last thing I want  is a truck that sucks down pee faster than you need to go . Or a loss of power  or reliability  . I bought  it for the diesel  power and reliability. 

i just got the recall notice yesterday,  i got the mail but didnt open the envelope... guess i gotta figure this out too

Just now, PRDATR said:

Chris is your truck deleted? Is it "Tuned"?

Nope no real need to delete. Truck is stock except  k@n air filter  and a secondary  oil filter  kit . I do have friends  with  deleted  duramax and they get more mpg and power . I've just not needed  it 850 of torque is plenty  for what I tow.

The big question  is what  is it going  to do to mpg and Def consumption? 

I got it for my 2018 too. Since  it’s a CA and Federal required update, I don’t believe it’s going to be good for anything but reducing power and performance.  As to the OPs original question, how would emissions know if you had it done or not?  First gas stoves, now our diesel trucks…freaking governments can’t leave us alone.

17 minutes ago, NOTAGS said:

I got it for my 2018 too. Since  it’s a CA and Federal required update, I don’t believe it’s going to be good for anything but reducing power and performance.  As to the OPs original question, how would emissions know if you had it done or not?  First gas stoves, now our diesel trucks…freaking governments can’t leave us alone.

I'm just hoping  Arizona  doesn't  make it a mandatory  thing  . I read it's  required  in California  to update  or you can't  get your tags. Damm California  dictatorship!!

• Like 1

Been  talking  with  my hunting buddy  who's  a heavy diesel  mechanic  and he said  the probably  got caught  manipulating  the nox  numbers  to pass emissions.  Says there's  a few ways they can fix this problem  most is not good for us the consumers  . In the re flash they could change the timing  and fuel curve  to minimize  the nox.  Bad is a change in power or fuel  economy  ,next is a change to the dpf by adding  more Def to the system  to reduce  nox   . Bad for consumers  cost more for Def  and probably  the system  is not going  to like the adding  of Def  possible  system  wear issues.  Next is to re map the egr to pull more heat from  motor wich will possibly  cause  egr issues  . The egr cooler is a issue  with  coolant leaks already  so adding  more heat is probably  not good.  I'm sure there's  more but these were some of the fix issues.  I'm sure the dealership  will  say what ever they think  will  answer  your questions  and probably  have no clue what they  are talking  about . I might  be able  to get him to call and see what they say the fix is so he could  call bullsh#t because  he'd  know better  . 

I just traded my 21 6.7 but still got the letter.  Traded it as the DEF system was acting up and wasn’t sure if it was covered by powertrain warranty.  Probably coulda kept it as I’m guessing this recall woulda fixed it for me. 

2 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Makes me love my pre-def 5.9 more and more every day.

It is actually in the shop now for a front end recall.

The problem with the 5.9’s is they’re stuck in a dodge truck.  The best thing that ever happened to Dodge was Fiat buying them out and scrapping the brand for Ram.  The fit and finish and little details are so much better.  The best in the industry for sure.  

45 minutes ago, yotebuster said:

The problem with the 5.9’s is they’re stuck in a dodge truck.  The best thing that ever happened to Dodge was Fiat buying them out and scrapping the brand for Ram.  The fit and finish and little details are so much better.  The best in the industry for sure.  

Completely understand that. However, after the upgraded transmission and the, still awesome 5.9, even with 200k, I love my old beater. 

• Like 1

I will ask my son when he gets here in a couple hours, hopefully get you an answer, he says the only thing that sucks about the delete is finding a dealership to reprogram computer. Getting tuff. He also said if your deleted and get pulled over in California turn it off, they will take from you on the spot.