Sign in to follow this  
Azhockeycoach

Jan javelina activity?

For those hunting the archery javelina season....are you seeing more activity in the morning or afternoon? I can't find a javelina at this point! Thinking these cold mornings have them bedded down until it warms up?

• Like 1

9am sunny hillsides, knows the time to get out and walk creek bottoms and look for tracks while its wrt. They will be very fresh. Then head up shady side of ridge and glass back to the sunny side of hill. If you can find green wattles also. But find them tracks. You have better luck if you know where there neighborhood is, and its hard to find moving rocks when your looking everywhere or driving. My take only. Goodluck

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wildwoody said:

9am sunny hillsides, knows the time to get out and walk creek bottoms and look for tracks while its wrt. They will be very fresh. Then head up shady side of ridge and glass back to the sunny side of hill. If you can find green wattles also. But find them tracks. You have better luck if you know where there neighborhood is, and its hard to find moving rocks when your looking everywhere or driving. My take only. Goodluck

No driving roads for me! All on foot AWAY from the roads 😀. I appreciate the information, thank you!

• Like 1

The Javelina we found yesterday were all bedded up in the sun @ 3pm.  Terrible weather yesterday, but managed to get a pig and a shot at a muley for my out of state buddies.  Javelina have a relatively small range, after a good rain storm, put in some boot miles in an area where you have seen them and try and narrow down their range.   Once you find a herd or 2, the hunting will last for years and years.  No need to hike miles away from roads unless you like that sort of thing.  Most of the herds I hunt are spotted from high points off of roads and then stalked into and killed.

• Like 1

I just had two in my backyard rooting around in the snow at about 9:00 a.m.  Sunny blue sky day today.

I saw so many javelina this last week. Honestly more than I've seen in the last 5 years collectively. Not sure if it's the short grass or what but I noticed once the sun hits in the morning they were out. Did see herds on their feet at all times of the day though. 

• Like 1

Got a shot last weekend  at 35 yds across  a draw with  a spring in the bottom  . Hit the pig as I watched  it carry  my arrow about  10 feet and then it dropped  out the off side . A few hours of searching  and all I got was a red arrow  and a bunch of briers in my pants from  being  down in the creek bottom.  Seems like more pigs  where we hunt and there out moving  . Most were early morning  7am-till around noon . I can't  hunt late due to work  but my buddy  hasn't  seen  one late but he does  drag his feet  and kick rocks as he walks  . Not exactly  a quiet  stalk kinda person. 

These two were at 70 after I shot . I ran into another  hunter  going  in the draw I'd just hit my pig in and was trying  to put him on pigs but every time  we saw the pigs they were on the opposite  side of the draw and he couldn't  get a shot.

20240106_092601.jpg

20240106_092559.jpg

• Like 1

A large herd piled out of a jumpier yesterday at 7:40 - the juniper was still in shade but the sun was up. 

Well, I haven't seen a single pig in the two days I've been out in 22. Seen about a hundred deer, but no pigs.. I must be looking in the wrong places

2 herds 2 weeks in a row.... out in sun at 11 am, hunters all around glassing. we went to our usual glassing spot and a couple guys were on it we backed out and waited for them to leave about 2 hours or so and they gave up. we immediately got on the spot and had pigs spotted in 5 minutes.

20 hours ago, Bigbuckin said:

Well, I haven't seen a single pig in the two days I've been out in 22. Seen about a hundred deer, but no pigs.. I must be looking in the wrong places

Exactly! I'm hunting 22 as well....glassed up 50-60 deer, can't find a javelina to save my life. 

• Like 1