Sign in to follow this  
rschaumb

2 tags back in 21 and I got #2

I couldn't believe it when I saw the $90 hit on my card this year. I knew it was my best change to draw with a unit that has had 0 hunts in the last 4 years, hoping people didn't notice there were new tags or not wanting to put in if the herd had declined that much to take tags away. Either way I was lucky enough to draw my first antelope tag. With only 1 archery hunt before and only 1 other hunter seems like we'll be able to have the place to ourselves. I can't wait to get out scouting as I've never really had the chance to watch antelope other than seeing them off the sides of highways. If any one has tag number 1 or knows them, DM me so we can hopefully stay out of each others way on the hunt. Good luck to everyone else lucky enough to draw an antelope tag this year!

• Like 3

Congrats! I had this tag in 2013 I think. At the time I lived in Cordes Jct and I was able to scout every weekend except 3 between the draw and the hunt. It was a fun hunt but the top 3 bucks I had picked out were all dead by 9am opening morning. I saw 3 bucks killed opening morning by a family that had 4 tags in camp. All 3 were hardly above their ears. I was glad when they cut the tags and hopefully the herd has recovered since then. I ended up with a mid 70's buck the 2nd day that I had watched in the junipers all summer. Don't overlook some of the thicker areas. I found them in places you wouldn't think they would be. This year that was my 2nd choice hunt just because of the low tag numbers. Have fun! 

• Like 1

Good luck. There have been transplants in their I think from Utah . Which are not known for good genetics. I thought about putting in for this hunt for your same reason only 1 tag prior to your hunt and 2 for rifle, but didn’t want to burn 29pts due to trophy quality . I think you’ll have no problem finding a 70 inch buck. Anything close to 80 will be challenging to slim. But only scouting will tell.   

• Like 1

This should be a fun tag.  I have seen some good bucks in there the last few years and last year there was at least one that will go 80.  Archery deer hunters will push them around but they have stayed in the same spots the last three years.  Let me know if you need any help. 

• Like 1

Congratulations!... and great strategy when entering the draw.

4 hours ago, rschaumb said:

I couldn't believe it when I saw the $90 hit on my card this year. I knew it was my best change to draw with a unit that has had 0 hunts in the last 4 years, hoping people didn't notice there were new tags or not wanting to put in if the herd had declined that much to take tags away. Either way I was lucky enough to draw my first antelope tag. With only 1 archery hunt before and only 1 other hunter seems like we'll be able to have the place to ourselves. I can't wait to get out scouting as I've never really had the chance to watch antelope other than seeing them off the sides of highways. If any one has tag number 1 or knows them, DM me so we can hopefully stay out of each others way on the hunt. Good luck to everyone else lucky enough to draw an antelope tag this year!

I thought the same. Curious, how many bonus points were involved.

I had 13 points. My friend had 15 and no tag. Definitely just got lucky but I’m curious to see the draw results when they come out and how many people did put in this year. 

Awesome hunt for sure.  There are some great goats in there, but lots of little pockets to hide in.  That August hunt has to have one of the highest populations of rattlesnakes I've ever seen.  I was starting to think the rattlesnakes only diet was pronghorn poop. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HuntHarder said:

Awesome hunt for sure.  There are some great goats in there, but lots of little pockets to hide in.  That August hunt has to have one if the highest populations of rattlesnakes I've ever seen.  I was starting to think the rattlesnakes only diet was pronghorn poop. 

Lots of buzzworms in that unit.  A buddy of mine encountered 13 (he kept count) while on hands and knees during his archery lope hunt.  Pay attention!

1 hour ago, Swivelhead said:

Lots of buzzworms in that unit.  A buddy of mine encountered 13 (he kept count) while on hands and knees during his archery lope hunt.  Pay attention!

I didn't count but I bet I was north of 30 for the summer.  Only one we killed was 6'1 without the head

• Like 1

On 3/7/2024 at 12:18 PM, rschaumb said:

I have been on one antelope hunt but I scouted a ton and hunted 10 strait days before I was able to kill one. 

It was an archery hunt in 5b but I saw 10x the number of animals during the hunt vs a summers worth of scouting. So if you’d only seeing a few scouting don’t worry , they are there. 

• Like 1

I put in for that tag 1st choice (Archery) with 17 points and drew my second choice. Spend a lot of time in there and saw 2 GREAT goats in there this year. Good luck, there is a great one in there right now. 

• Like 2