Sign in to follow this  
Coach

Nick's First Javelina

My middle son, Nick just turned ten this month and we've been working like crazy to get his Hunter's Education course finalized before his first ever big game hunt. I scouted the area during the HAM and found what I thought would be a honey hole, but never connected with Grandpa's old Hawkins.

We headed to the range for a little "anotomically correct" target practice. A few flyers, but not bad considering he was shooting from a variety of field positions everywhere from 50 to 100 yards.

post-478-1235358344_thumb.jpg

So we head off but right out of town had a little trouble... the paneling started blowing off of the fifth wheel.

post-478-1235358413_thumb.jpg

With the help of a good Samaritan, we were back on the road in no time...

post-478-1235358476_thumb.jpg

post-478-1235358515_thumb.jpg

We weren't going to let a little mechanical failure get int the way of Nick's first hunt, so we headed on down to our hunting area and set up camp. The following morning was opening morning of the general Javelina hunt. We headed to the area I had scouted previously, but the sign was all old. This was a major blow because I had really counted on them being in there based on the sign we had seen (and a few pigs) during the HAM hunt.

We shifted our plans a little and hiked some steep ridges to get a better vantage point that evening...

post-478-1235358814_thumb.jpg

We glassed the country hard, but found no pigs...

post-478-1235358862_thumb.jpg

post-478-1235358875_thumb.jpg

The following morning, it was up to Nick to decide where he wanted to go. We had seen some really good country near camp the previous day and he decided that was where we'd start day number 2. A short hike at daylight had us on a nice high point with tons of country to glass. Within less than 5 minutes, I had found a small group with one huge boar. They were about 700 yds off so we bailed down the ridge and followed a wash to a small knoll that would put us about 100 yds away, the max we had practiced. Thankfully, when we arrived, the herd was still there, feeding on the hillside. We got positioned for the shot and really took our time waiting for a good broadside shot on the big boar. I told Nick to hold the red-dot sight on the AR15 right on the shoulder and shoot when he was ready. As I was trying to get my bincos up and on the pig we had selected, BOOOOOM! I was hoping to have a better look when the shot fired, but as I finally got things into sight, I saw Nick's first Javelina rolling down the hill - he had obviously hit. It was a little further back than I would have liked, but it was enough.

post-478-1235359492_thumb.jpg

post-478-1235359532_thumb.jpg

I didn't have a scale, but this was a HUGE boar.

post-478-1235359979_thumb.jpg

Ready to hike out...

post-478-1235360016_thumb.jpg

And finally, the celebration fire!

post-478-1235359604_thumb.jpg

Overall, a great first hunt for Nick. We have another lifer on our hands for sure. A big thank you to my friend Bryan Yorksmith who made this hunt possible and gave Nick the tools he needed via the Hunter's Education course to put all of the studying to practice.

I hope you all enjoy the photo and story.

Jason

Way to go Nick, good job. Looks like everyone had a blast. I really like the picture around the fire, what great memories being made.

Congratulations,

--Bill

WAhOOO NICK! Congratulations on your pig and thanks for all the pics. Now you have to do the same next year and post some more pics. Thanks for sharing Nick's pig :)

TJ

Great job Nick!!!! The hunts with family and friends are by far the best. You'll remember that hunt for the rest of your life. Way to drop that javelina.

Outstanding!!!! Congrats to Nick and to you Jason!! What a great family outing!! ;)