Sign in to follow this  
Gr8 White Jr

Angie's 1st Big Game Success

As many of you know my girlfriend Angie has been joining me in the outdoors over the last couple of months. She watched as I took my 2008 November coues buck as well as my 2009 archery javelina and loved every minute of it. This was her 1st javelina hunt and she was very excited to be the shooter on this hunt. She generously gave up Friday, the 1st day of her hunt, so we could help a friend out on his javelina hunt in a different unit so we didn't start her hunt until Saturday. Saturday was very uneventful as far as javelina go but Angie did find her 1st shed and was very excited. It was a very nice muley shed and Angie was all smiles with her 1st shed find. Later that day Angie also shot her 1st anything, a jack rabbit and again you could not pry the smile off of her face. Saturday came to an end without any pigs being spotted but Angie said it was still a great day because she found her 1st shed and got her 1st kill on the jack rabbit. Later that night my friend Justin (Gotcoues) drove from his house in Tuscon to my place in Glendale so he could join us for Angies hunt on Sunday. Sunday morning found us at our glassing spot. After glassing the first couple of hours with no luck I decided to move to a higher point further down the ridge we were on. I ended up jumping a javelina on the way not far from where we had been sitting all morning. I called Justin and Angie over to me and we snuck over to where I had jumped the pig. As we got close to where I had jumped the pig, an entire herd jumped up in front of us and started scattering. Justin and I started grunting and a few of the pigs stopped. One was quartering away at 40 yds for what seemed like and eternity. Angie was aiming and I kept asking her if she had him and she kept telling me no. She couldn't find it in the scope. I tried to help her by pointing the rifle in the direction of the pig but she just could not find it. The herd ended up running off before Angie could find a pig in the scope. We watched as the herd ran down the ridge into the flats and make a 180 degree, mile and a half circle. I have never seen javelina run so far after being spooked. I watched as the herd disappeared behind a polo verde tree. I never saw them come out the other side so I thought that they must have bedded down. Justin stayed back and watched as Angie and I spent the rest of the morning making a stalk to the tree that I THOUGHT the pigs had bedded behind. I couldn't believe it! There were no pigs behind the tree when we approached it. Very disappointed we went back to the truck for lunch and a quick mid day nap before the evening hunt. The evening turned up nothing but a couple of deer. Justin had to head back home to Tuscon so it was just Angie a I going back out this morning. I asked Angie where she wanted to hunt for our last morning and she said she wanted to hunt the flats where I have taken 2 pigs with my bow in previous years and where we have seen pigs every time we had gone scouting. You can not hunt this area by the ideal way of glassing because there is no high points or mountains for miles but I know where several herds usually are. We got to where we usually park just before first light. The wind was all wrong blowing in the exact opposite direction that it usually is so that would put the wind right at our back. I knew this was not going to work so we got back in the truck and drove to a different spot about a mile away where we could enter my spot from the opposite direction with the wind in our face. We left the truck and snuck in. I found a heard of pigs right away feeding down a fence line just 60 yds away. Angie and I moved to our right about 20 yds to get a clear shot on the front pig. Angie knelt down and shot. With all Angie's excitement and nervousness it was a clean miss! I started "woofing" right away trying to calm the scattering heard. We moved to our left about 30 yds as I kept "woofing" and spotted another pig about 70 yds away standing broadside. I told Angie to use my pack as a rest and she said she didn't need it, that she could just shoot off hand. I said okay as she took aim. BOOM! The pig dropped and spun. He made it about 20 yds before falling over. We snuck closer where Angie made her finishing shot. We were both so excited that Angie had filled her first javelina/big game tag. I don't think she will ever stop smiling. She's hooked! This is only the beginning! Thanks to Justin for coming up to help out on Angie's hunt, wish you could have been there today! Thanks for reading my story and allowing me to share Angie's and my experience with you all!

-Tracy

post-1275-1235437901_thumb.jpg

post-1275-1235437995_thumb.jpg

post-1275-1235438038_thumb.jpg

post-1275-1235438079_thumb.jpg

post-1275-1235438127_thumb.jpg

post-1275-1235438175_thumb.jpg

post-1275-1235438229_thumb.jpg

post-1275-1235438276_thumb.jpg

post-1275-1235438299_thumb.jpg

Wow! Great write up and pics! Thanks for sharing. Congratulations to both of you.

Let me see, she shoots straight, finds sheds and puts up with you? :rolleyes:

Maybe I'm putting two and two together and coming up with five but it makes me wonder, are there any "major events" in the foreseeable future that you want to let the CWT.com community know about? ;)

Congrats again on a great hunt!

Job well done Angie, that is a great pig and will make a nice mount for sure. I knew with Tracy by your side, those pigs didn't stand a chance.

Again congrats on a awsume start to your hunting career.

-Ryan

Thats awesome! Congrats and thanks for the great write-up and great pics! JIM>

That is so cool!! Congrats to Angie on a bunch of firsts. Maybe she can call my wife and convince her that hunting is pretty cool and get her to go with me.

Congratulations to Angie on her first shed, rabbit, and of course her first pig. I really liked the story and I was wondering when the wedding was? ;) :D

TJ