Sign in to follow this  
TAM

To shoot?... or not to shoot?

Lets say you've got a tag in your pocket and your weapon of choice in hand. This buck presents a shot well within your personal comfort zone and it's the middle of a week long hunt. Everything is legal. That's it, no more what if's. Do you shoot or let him pass?

post-25-1243222087_thumb.jpg

hello - think I'd have to pull the trigger -kinda a weird angle but looks to have good mass- from most of the different forums - mass is the key factor on lopers - so drop'm quick! gary

Looks short on the prongs and not that massive above. Kinda early to tell how massive he will be at the bases and how much longer he will grow. I'd say keep looking.

Good looking buck. With archery tackle I'd take him in a heart beat. Rifle or smoke pole would totally depend on what else I had seen and how much time is left.

I actually took that picture with Blake back on April 4th when he still had quite a bit of growing to do. I Saw this buck again last night and I think he's now pushing 17 inches long. Sorry no pic's from last night.

How many of you that passed him the first time would shoot him now that he is pushing 17 inches of horn length?

Ok, here is buck #2. Same situation as the first. We call this buck Knot Head due to a large bump/knot on the back of his left horn just above his prong. Shoot or pass?

post-25-1243263405_thumb.jpg

If I had two or more days left on the hunt, I will pass;(rifle hunt) but for the last day I will shoot.

Now lets assume that I had my bow............I'll probably shoot, taking an antelope with a bow it is a great acomplishment regardless of the horn size.

Ernesto C

The first buck would definitely be a yes with the bow and the second buck for sure with either bow or gun. Thanks for sharing the great pics of both. It's always nice to see some lopes on here since I don't get up that way often to see them. :)

TJ

hello - I guess for most of us hunters who have never taken an antelope and aren't as determined to take a monster buck , it's not hard to decide. Most of us may only ever get one tag, so just about any picture you post is a shootable buck - I'm positive a lot of bambi antelope will fall this year. Thanks for posting the great pics -keep'm coming - gary