Sign in to follow this  
luvdemcoues

Another Trail Camera gone... any thoughts?

My brother-in-law placed a trail camera on a water hole in unit 24b. It was a good spot and pain to hike to. We went out early this morning to download the pics and the camera plus the tripod it was mounted on were gone. It was well hidden in some bushes too. The camera was not out even 5 days. My thoughts are that the guy that stole it probably knows of some big bucks in the area (there are, we've seen them) and thinks by stealing the trail camera, he is protecting his teritory. Any thoughts on that? :angry:

he is protecting his teritory

Could be. But if he is any type of ethical hunter regardless if the state record buck walked into that tank,it doesn't excuse the fact that your camera is missing. 5 days is pretty pathetic considering you've spent the time to hike in there, invest in your set-up and find out now it's gone.

Sounds like there isn't anything to bolt your camera to if it was on a trip-pod. That could be a problem because its just way too easy to take something that isn't locked down.

Now comes the dilema , return to the tank , find another spot, or find a means of securing it in hopes it doesn't disappear. This all really takes the FUN out of discovering critters that come to water.

Maybe head down the trail a bit and see if you can establish another means to attract the BIG BUCKS! ;)

Best of Luck - sorry to hear about the gear. I know when I go to check mine, I'm always excited and have yet to have that sinking feeling - it's gone.

AzP&Y

hello - here we go agin - thieves have a way of showing up when you least suspect them! Like you got to set traps :blink: or hidin cameras to try to catch them in the act - kinda a waste of time but there can't be to many ways to access some of the remote places ya talk about - basically 2 choices - forget it and move on - his intimidation worked or you keep at it and hope to identify the theif someday with out the expenses getting to high .- if its insouthern az it might be the illegals - not like geting their pics takin - good luck - gary

I cant help but think with the popularity of cams and the frequency of incidents that seem to be happening, that one day it could escalate into something much much worse. Heres to hoping that I am wrong.

I cant help but think with the popularity of cams and the frequency of incidents that seem to be happening, that one day it could escalate into something much much worse. Heres to hoping that I am wrong.

+1

Sorry to hear about your camera. Hope you run into the person that took it. :ph34r:

There is no way to guess what his motivation was. Doesn't matter anyway. I also had to learn the hard way about cams on water holes. Now,If I can't lock it up I don't leave it. Friggin low lifes, what sorry excuses for sportsmen.

Sorry about your loss. I've had 4 stolen and two vandalized over the years so I feel your pain.

I just wanted to comment on locking up your cameras in the future. Locking your camera will do nothing but give you a false sense of security. It will keep honest folks honest, but if a scum bag thief wants your camera he's gonna get it.

The best thing you can do to protect your cameras is to put them where no one will find them.

Good luck!

Seems to me well placed or not I think that a good sack party would be in order! Also think if anyone has pictures of these cameras being taken then "POST THE DANG PICTURES OF THE JERKS OR KEEP IT TO YOURSELF ABOUT HAVING THEM" :angry: Sorry about that, but I think my typing finger got out of hand :blink:

Regards,

That sucks to hear Josh! But in all seriousness, that's why I buy the cheap ones. I hurts that much more to loose a $300 camera. Tell your Brother-in-law sorry about the stolen goods.

Justin

I have a camera up right now that doens't have a lock box on it, and I'm constantly worried about it, I told my wife last night that if someone steals my camera without a lock then I will feel stupid, but if they steal one of my cameras with a lock on it then I will just be upset, nothing I can do about dishonest people.

Have you ever thought of a bear knocking it over and moving it. Did you look around the area?

I'd be willing to spend a little extra on one if it had a little c4 in it that could be set off remotely by cell phone. :angry:

Bummer man. You might be right, he might be trying to discourage you. Water holes are risky. It kind of makes you want to hook up claymores to a motion switch on your camera. Game cam theft is like termites in Arizona: it's not a question of "if", but "when". Best of luck to you guys.

Mark

That sucks. I haven't lost one yet but I know I'm going to be pissed when it does happen. It kinda makes me leary about buying one of the better camera's knowing it's just a matter of time. I think I'm going to stay away from tanks unless it is somewhere really remote. I don't think we have to deal to much with the illegals up here in unit 22/23