creed_az_88

What's a trophy to you?

Hey guys. I have not seen a lot of posts lately so i thought i would get something started. In your guy's eyes, what is a shooter on the first day of the season? I'm only sixteen and the biggest buck I've ever taken was an 89-inch 3 pointer. Everybody told me i should have mounted it but I haven't yet. I would shoot a deer that size again but i don't think i would take anything smaller than 85, but you never know what's going to happen in the field. What about you guys? A lot of the people i hunt with take anything they can get and i respect that but I know that there are bigger bucks out there so i try to pass up the little guys. Just wondering how you guys see it?

In my mind anything that is bigger than a forker in my book. I have never gotten a buck before so my goal is to get at least a forker.

creed az 88;

I would generally take a 85 plus 3-pointer on opening day. Although if I see that nice of a buck on opening I start wondering if I will see something better tomorrow. It is true that you can't shoot a 110 pointer if you shoot the smaller ones first. I have gone home empty-handed after passing forkies and small 3-pointers and it's not the end of the world. Although I sure do miss not having any of that great venison when I burn a tag.

Take nothing smaller than a 130 class buck...

actually any buck with antlers that are capable of shedding.

the biggest one that i have taken scored 84. this past hunt, i was aiming for 90+ and never saw him. i had several small spikes and forks within 200 yards more than 3 times. what i usually do, depending on the hunt and how long i have is go from there, first couple days try and find a bigun, and then after that i adjust from what i have seen, but for sure, last day of the hunt is anything with antlers! i think the definition of a trophy changes dramitcally person to person, if the animal is one that you busted your butt for then that is a trohpy. i had my 84 incher mounted because he was my first deer, i worked my butt of for 6 years for him and i finally got a deer. trophy for sure has to do with the size of the antlers, but that is not the only thing that it has to do with. what ever you think is a trophy, is a trophy, there is no right or wrong answers!

For me anyway I never set any standards before I go. A trophy to me is any animal you take that you are happy with taking. Score wise to me doesnt matter, what makes a trophy to me is the experience of the hunt and what it intells in taking the animal. This is the rule I go by: don't pass anything up the first day that you would be happy to take the last day. I have nothing against people who set their sites on animals that scores a certain amount. Everyone is different and has different ideas. Anyway that is my opinion on the subject.

Brian

I am always after the big boys. I wouldn't shoot anything under 100'' unless it was the last day of the hunt. I would be very happy with a 110'' buck. I think the only reason I hold out so long is because I do so much scouting. When you put in that much work you don't want to settle with something smaller than expected. I glassed and set up on many bucks last season all of which were around 85'' but didn't take the shot. Just not big enough.

I have gone through different phases. My first 2 bucks were spikes and I was thrilled to death w/ both of them. Then I killed a small 4*4 coues and was also thrilled. Now I have kind of gotten into trophy hunting and the point system so my goal is to hold out of a 100+ incher.

Trophy is in the eyes of the beholder, and in my opinion has alot to due with the experience of the hunt. I have gone through the stages of anything with horns and now I personally hold out for just the right one.

I think the question needs some qualifying. If you have scouted the area and know there are bucks in the 110 class, then I would hold out for one of those on opening day. If I know the area well, and the biggest I have seen after sclouting is a 3 point 90 class, I would likely take it.

Know your area, and the game potential in it so you can make the best decision.

That goes along with standman's point

This is the rule I go by: don't pass anything up the first day that you would be happy to take the last day.

110" opening day. 100" last day of hunt. let the little ones go and you'll start seeing alot more big ones later on.they have to get some years on em' before a coues gets big. Oh yeah, always buy a lion tag every january just in case you get the opportunity to shoot one.

Wade

Me, I'am just happy to DRAW a tag and see antlers :blink:

Here in AZ I try to hold out for a 100 incher or anything with neat looking or NT horns. This year that will probably go down the drain as I am putting in for a new unit that I barely know, so we will see what I can scout up if I get drawn it.

In N.M. I shoot first and ask questions later, especially if there are a million other hunters around, like usual over there in years past. No seriously, I try to hold out for what I scouted over there, last year it was a 97 inch 3 pointer and a 81 inch 2 pointer. It is kind of nice to have video of two deer from the day before you kill them, like we did last year. The year before that it was a 101 inch 3 pointer and a few other bigger deer I just plain missed or botched stalks on. All those deer, even the ones that I found and helped my buddies kill are trophies in my book. Even the great big S.O.B. I missed 2 years ago bounding up the side of the mountain with his tail down after I missed him at 40 yards is a "trophy memory" in my book. More than likely I will never be that close to that big a live coues buck ever again and have a shot at him like I did. I feel you kind of have to hold out for what you scouted or you could have alot of meatless hunts, which is fine if you don't have time to scout, it is still nice just to be out there...

Bret M.

i like the wide bucks.and nontypicals,something i think will look good on my wall,or how much iam seeing but the first days are the something specail days.then after that its meat time

1st question is bow or rifle.next is what hunt. august/september archery. oct/nov. rifle.dec rifle, dec /jan, archery.if i have dec rifle then the early archery,i hold out for a nice 3x3 with eye guard. pass every thing under 90.if only have archery tag. 75" or better at any point between the 3 seasons.you you decide to pass on some take a camera and take a picture.that way you can look back and see a history.good hunting mike