matthewp45

Mullin's Got it done in a big way!

But Gino we wanted that bull!! :lol: :lol: ...great post! Couldn't have said it better! Congrats to the Mullins crew

So has anyone else heard or seen pics of the 480"+ bull killed on the rez? or is it just a rumor?

OH crap what do I do now, I am turned all upside down and inside out. Someone took a bull that someone else had a picture of. What is this hunting world coming too now. Glad to see that some Arizona boys that have worked hard to build up there Family name into a great guide service were able to take this Arizona bull to the dirt. I am sure that other hunters hoped this bull would be for them and other guide services thought this bull was theres because they took on a big guide name and had trail photos of this bull. Heck i bet even guys that do not use cameras had there eye on this bull. That is just the way it is.

I agree with Gino on this 100%. I still think i smell Jimbo. Somone tell him job well done now go take a bath. It is time to start smelling like COUES. :lol:

Guest 300ultramag.

Man you guys are making me look like the nice guy on this site

Number 1 the mossback guy had two 4ths in his statement.

Number 2 what is Mossback

Number 2 Gino, I love how you always slide in those tones... they cut deep but are very funny

AND LASTLY WHY GIVE A BULL LIKE THIS SUCH A NERDY NAME?

I think of WILLL BUR from MR. ED...

Was Richard Simmons already taken :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously Wilbur...

I typed in "Wilbur Mullins" on the site below and got "smelly elk man"

http://www.gorskys.com.au/articles/nickname-generator.html

300WSM

That was very well said. I have always heard great things about you and the rest of the SMALL team of Mossback AZ! It's actually funny to hear all the rumors of how BIG Mossback AZ is and that they have 10 or 15 people scouting for them....simply for the fact of jealousy that your team always kills trophy class animals!! That's the greatest physical accomplishment any outfitter could hope for. I have seen most of the animals that have hit the dirt with Team Mossback and it's simply breathe taking. I don't know of any other outfitter out there that can prove the same results. Anyway, it always amazes me to read a blog such as this site and hear the jealously that is spit out over the net! What a bunch of unsatisfied outdoorsman that call themselves "HUNTERS." With that being said, congrats to the hunter who kept his nerves at peace while making the final shot! This bull will look sweet as a full body mount. For those of you who want to compare notes and success between the Mullins and Mossback, might as well count the sands of the sea! Your input is worthless! I'm sure both outfitters respect each other for the knowledge, skills, and time it takes to find a world class animal.

Chad, good luck with your clients this year and I'm sure I will be sent pictures of freaks just like every other year!

Sendero

Man you guys are making me look like the nice guy on this site

Number 1 the mossback guy had two 4ths in his statement.

Number 2 what is Mossback

Number 2 Gino, I love how you always slide in those tones... they cut deep but are very funny

AND LASTLY WHY GIVE A BULL LIKE this such a nerdya ss name

I think of WILLL BUR from MR. ED...Was Richard Simmons already taken :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously Wilbur...

I typed in "Wilbur Mullins" on the site below and got "smelly elk man"

way way funny,

great sense of humor :lol: after reading a few posts i thought i was on monster carp.com. :ph34r:

i do say use the water displacement scoring sysytem would give the full credit.

GINO...you have a way with words....lol love it!!!

AWESOME BULL IF HE SCORES 370.LOVE THE "FREAKS AND GEEKS" ;)

AZMEAT

http://www.gorskys.com.au/articles/nickname-generator.html

Guest 300ultramag.
respect each other for the knowledge, skills, and time it takes to find a world class animal.

Chad, good luck with your clients this year and I'm sure I will be sent pictures of freaks just like every other year!

Sendero

I dont know Mullins or Mossback... but I do know all the BGs in AZ get it done!

"Wilber" is truly breath taking and was taken by a very deserving hunter. Huge CONGRATS to him. Thank you to both the hunter and Mullins Outfitters for allowing me to be part of this hunt.

This bull was in a spot that a lot of people were scouting and was known by most of them. The bull frequinted tanks that had several trail cams on them, so he was no secret. He was very decieving and was underestimated by several guides and outfitters. We spent a lot of time trying to put an accurate score on him and we figured him to be between 395 to 405. Jim told the hunter what he thought "Wilber" would score and I don't think it really mattered to him. It was more about the history and the uniqueness of the bull. Once the bull was dead, everybody realized how off we all were on his score. We figuered people would call B/S on the score so Jim had it measured by a master measurer and "Wilber" came out to 445 3/8. We underscored his bottom end, mass, width and extras. He is truly awesome!!!!

sdrhunter,

In my humble opinion, I think you are comparing apples to oranges with sheep and elk. The few giant bulls that are already at the top end of their genetic potential that are getting killed is not hurting a population of elk to still produce giants. Its the 370's to 390's that have the potential to become the 400+ bulls that get killed on the archery, rifle and muzzleloader hunts. Killing say 6 to 8 of the 370 to 390 type bulls in 1 year would impact a unit more than a few 400+ bulls being killed by a very few guys with the special tags.

>>>Manny

i disagree with your quote as most 370-390" bulls never reach 400". when these bulls, "top end bulls," are consistently taken out of one reasonably small area then the genetic potential of the area has to suffer. there are not 400"++ bulls behind every tree, even in unit 9. When these bulls are killed they no longer pass on their genes and 370" bulls breed. although they are not small, they are not top end as the top end gets killed every yr in the same area.

last yr. for example, there was not one 400" bull taken out of unit 9 in the archery, early rifle, or late hunts combined. it was an average yr. or better for horn growth and yet no 400" bulls. they have been getting hammered hard in that unit and two 400" type bulls, "top end bulls," out of the same areas year after year affect the areas potential to consistently produce these giants. no problem with the gov. tag, outfitters guiding them, hunters, or anything associated with the tag or hunt, just a simple observation.

Hmmmm... :rolleyes: So what you are saying is that all you Mossback guys are soooo worried about the elk in unit 9 that you are going to pull all you cameras out of the unit.... stop lobbying for SR and Auction hunters with pics of bulls that you guys have gotten on TC's in 9 over the last 2-5 years???? :huh: :unsure: :rolleyes: I think not..... :rolleyes: I am pretty sure there are people with masters degrees in Wildlife Biology that have little better understanding of carrying capacities that will detremine what the herd can take.... not an open forum fired up by elk hunters that are not getting paid to hunt with the Big Dogs this year and therefore must remain on the porch..... ;) Furthermore it has only been the "Bad Cop/Worse Cop" Routine between obvious Team MB guys that even brought up what unit the bull was from and Allegedly what part of that unit he was in at the time the Dirt Nap was invoked. :rolleyes: As we all know.... when the bulls rub they move... and Wilbur could have been 30 miles away by then..... I mean seriously, if he was that easy to kill and he was the only bull they were hunting do you think they were camping for 9 days and decided to walk out and kill "the bull" on the 10th??? :rolleyes: On a completely separate note.... comparing elk to sheep is like comparing cedar trees to century plants..... :rolleyes: :lol:

.....And for those of you that are doubters.... I underjudged a coues buck my buddy killed last week by 18"! :blink: I saw the TC pics and he said he thought 105"... I said 102"+ and the buck was taped at 121ish by a P&Y measurer....... I also have been looking at the scouting pics of Wilbur for months and had him at about 410ish.... I am told that many other VERY Qualified elk hunters mis-judged this bull on the hoof, and it is not the first time that has happened. ;) I am quite sure that the Gentleman that tagged this bull does not give a Rip if anyone is "convinced" that the bull is that big....he wanted THAT BULL! The fact is the SCI score sheet is done and headed for the book.... I'd bet you can check it on line in the weeks/months to come if you really have to hold on that tight to the concept that "Team Mullins is Lying about the score!" :lol: :lol: :lol: Better yet, lets stand up and applaud what a great week this has been for the elk all over this state! If I am not mistaken this is one of the largest, if not the largest Auction bull ever taken on Public Land in AZ. A bull of this size taken on public land, will keep funneling those much needed $$$$ back to elk habitat in this great state for years to come!! I'd like to thank the man who purchased this tag, and I pray the tag goes for more $$$ next year!

I think rather than turning this thread into a boo hoo, Bitter-fest..... maybe we can get back to the deserved congrats to the Hunter, his amazing Bull, and the great bunch of guys that helped him ground check that Bad Mutha!! ;) A Huge Congrats to "the Guys" and to the very happy man that set his cap for Wilbur 2 months ago!!!! :D

Here is a pic of Wilbur on the hoof.... he is a PIG! ;) (I actually have the Green Light to post it up! :P )

CnS,

This is Chad Rhoton, and yes I do guide for Mossback here in AZ. I am not sure what all you are referring to in your post, but let me get a couple things straight.... First off, I could give two cents about the bulls in unit 9.. While there are some great bulls to be had, they are not the biggest bulls around... In fact , the biggest bulls are more in your neck of the woods, but they can be a little tougher to get. There are big bulls all over this state, and those who scout hard can attest to it, not just in unit 9. Secondly, this bull was more popular than Michael Jackson. I know so many people that knew of this bull it was crazy.. I am sure you saw the fence sagging due to so many tc on it!!!!! Thirdly, those are mossback pics, that leaked out, not sure by whom but it is what it is, I dont know who biscuit is, dont really care. The video pics are from some amazing video I have of this bull. I watched this bull with my 4 yr old son for over an hour. We glassed him up and took off to get a better look. We snuck in less than 100 yards and just watched him and videod him, and the look on my sons face when he was sitting with me was awesome...

Fourth, I never in a million years thought this bull was as big as he is.. I saw him and put him at 390's, i recently saw him, and he is much bigger than that.. I will say, the pics do not do the bull justice. I have never seen such a discrepancy between pics and the real bull. While I dont know how it was scored, and it doesnt matter... The hunter was pumped to shoot it, he is the one that bought the tag, and he hammered it. Congrats to the mullins and the hunter on an exceptional animal. Fourth, it is ok for people to have opinions,,, some like to be very fact based.. Some hate velvet scores, some dislike SCI, and some B&C and some dont care. Personally I am all about dipping the animal in water and having a universal scoring system. Lastly your comment about not being paid to hunt with the big dogs, I really dont care.. We have found PLENTY of BIG bulls for the average joes to go hunt, it doesnt hurt my feelings. We scout just as hard anyways, just ask Jim and Matt.

Chad,

Although no one was watching.... I was nodding my head in agreeance as I read your post.... I am certain my post was read as an attack but it was nothing more than an end to bad direction. I know you guys are out there workin' hard, too..... And you are right there are big bulls all over... but as long as there are 420-440 type bulls coming from places like 9, 10, 8, 3a/3c, year in and year out it is safe to say that the herd can handle it. From what I can see there are pleanty of Big Bulls to go around this year... A Giant like this is a fantastic way to open up the year and get everyone's juices flowing! I am very glad that you took the time to get over to the Taxi and hold the bull for yourself. This is about a Victory for AZ public land elk/habitat and a Very happy hunter.... bulls like this Prove that the management and habitat improvements are alive and working in this state! As you mentioned, everyone has a scoring system they like/dislike.... it does not matter how or who scores it, or where it ends up in any of the books.... what a Bull! Best of luck on the regular season.

Much Congrats to the hunter and team Mullins.

That is one heck of a bull. I can't wait to see more field pics

of the bull. I am sure you couldn't wipe the smile off the hunters'

face even if you tried.

Great job guys! Awesome when hard work pays off dividends.

"Wilber" is truly breath taking and was taken by a very deserving hunter. Huge CONGRATS to him. Thank you to both the hunter and Mullins Outfitters for allowing me to be part of this hunt.

This bull was in a spot that a lot of people were scouting and was known by most of them. The bull frequinted tanks that had several trail cams on them, so he was no secret. He was very decieving and was underestimated by several guides and outfitters. We spent a lot of time trying to put an accurate score on him and we figured him to be between 395 to 405. Jim told the hunter what he thought "Wilber" would score and I don't think it really mattered to him. It was more about the history and the uniqueness of the bull. Once the bull was dead, everybody realized how off we all were on his score. We figuered people would call B/S on the score so Jim had it measured by a master measurer and "Wilber" came out to 445 3/8. We underscored his bottom end, mass, width and extras. He is truly awesome!!!!

sdrhunter,

In my humble opinion, I think you are comparing apples to oranges with sheep and elk. The few giant bulls that are already at the top end of their genetic potential that are getting killed is not hurting a population of elk to still produce giants. Its the 370's to 390's that have the potential to become the 400+ bulls that get killed on the archery, rifle and muzzleloader hunts. Killing say 6 to 8 of the 370 to 390 type bulls in 1 year would impact a unit more than a few 400+ bulls being killed by a very few guys with the special tags.

>>>Manny

i disagree with your quote as most 370-390" bulls never reach 400". when these bulls, "top end bulls," are consistently taken out of one reasonably small area then the genetic potential of the area has to suffer. there are not 400"++ bulls behind every tree, even in unit 9. When these bulls are killed they no longer pass on their genes and 370" bulls breed. although they are not small, they are not top end as the top end gets killed every yr in the same area.

last yr. for example, there was not one 400" bull taken out of unit 9 in the archery, early rifle, or late hunts combined. it was an average yr. or better for horn growth and yet no 400" bulls. they have been getting hammered hard in that unit and two 400" type bulls, "top end bulls," out of the same areas year after year affect the areas potential to consistently produce these giants. no problem with the gov. tag, outfitters guiding them, hunters, or anything associated with the tag or hunt, just a simple observation.

Hmmmm... :rolleyes: So what you are saying is that all you Mossback guys are soooo worried about the elk in unit 9 that you are going to pull all you cameras out of the unit.... stop lobbying for SR and Auction hunters with pics of bulls that you guys have gotten on TC's in 9 over the last 2-5 years???? :huh: :unsure: :rolleyes: I think not..... :rolleyes: I am pretty sure there are people with masters degrees in Wildlife Biology that have little better understanding of carrying capacities that will detremine what the herd can take.... not an open forum fired up by elk hunters that are not getting paid to hunt with the Big Dogs this year and therefore must remain on the porch..... ;) Furthermore it has only been the "Bad Cop/Worse Cop" Routine between obvious Team MB guys that even brought up what unit the bull was from and Allegedly what part of that unit he was in at the time the Dirt Nap was invoked. :rolleyes: As we all know.... when the bulls rub they move... and Wilbur could have been 30 miles away by then..... I mean seriously, if he was that easy to kill and he was the only bull they were hunting do you think they were camping for 9 days and decided to walk out and kill "the bull" on the 10th??? :rolleyes: On a completely separate note.... comparing elk to sheep is like comparing cedar trees to century plants..... :rolleyes: :lol:

.....And for those of you that are doubters.... I underjudged a coues buck my buddy killed last week by 18"! :blink: I saw the TC pics and he said he thought 105"... I said 102"+ and the buck was taped at 121ish by a P&Y measurer....... I also have been looking at the scouting pics of Wilbur for months and had him at about 410ish.... I am told that many other VERY Qualified elk hunters mis-judged this bull on the hoof, and it is not the first time that has happened. ;) I am quite sure that the Gentleman that tagged this bull does not give a Rip if anyone is "convinced" that the bull is that big....he wanted THAT BULL! The fact is the SCI score sheet is done and headed for the book.... I'd bet you can check it on line in the weeks/months to come if you really have to hold on that tight to the concept that "Team Mullins is Lying about the score!" :lol: :lol: :lol: Better yet, lets stand up and applaud what a great week this has been for the elk all over this state! If I am not mistaken this is one of the largest, if not the largest Auction bull ever taken on Public Land in AZ. A bull of this size taken on public land, will keep funneling those much needed $$$$ back to elk habitat in this great state for years to come!! I'd like to thank the man who purchased this tag, and I pray the tag goes for more $$$ next year!

I think rather than turning this thread into a boo hoo, Bitter-fest..... maybe we can get back to the deserved congrats to the Hunter, his amazing Bull, and the great bunch of guys that helped him ground check that Bad Mutha!! ;) A Huge Congrats to "the Guys" and to the very happy man that set his cap for Wilbur 2 months ago!!!! :D

Here is a pic of Wilbur on the hoof.... he is a PIG! ;) (I actually have the Green Light to post it up! :P )

CnS,

This is Chad Rhoton, and yes I do guide for Mossback here in AZ. I am not sure what all you are referring to in your post, but let me get a couple things straight.... First off, I could give two cents about the bulls in unit 9.. While there are some great bulls to be had, they are not the biggest bulls around... In fact , the biggest bulls are more in your neck of the woods, but they can be a little tougher to get. There are big bulls all over this state, and those who scout hard can attest to it, not just in unit 9. Secondly, this bull was more popular than Michael Jackson. I know so many people that knew of this bull it was crazy.. I am sure you saw the fence sagging due to so many tc on it!!!!! Thirdly, those are mossback pics, that leaked out, not sure by whom but it is what it is, I dont know who biscuit is, dont really care. The video pics are from some amazing video I have of this bull. I watched this bull with my 4 yr old son for over an hour. We glassed him up and took off to get a better look. We snuck in less than 100 yards and just watched him and videod him, and the look on my sons face when he was sitting with me was awesome...

Fourth, I never in a million years thought this bull was as big as he is.. I saw him and put him at 390's, i recently saw him, and he is much bigger than that.. I will say, the pics do not do the bull justice. I have never seen such a discrepancy between pics and the real bull. While I dont know how it was scored, and it doesnt matter... The hunter was pumped to shoot it, he is the one that bought the tag, and he hammered it. Congrats to the mullins and the hunter on an exceptional animal. Fourth, it is ok for people to have opinions,,, some like to be very fact based.. Some hate velvet scores, some dislike SCI, and some B&C and some dont care. Personally I am all about dipping the animal in water and having a universal scoring system. Lastly your comment about not being paid to hunt with the big dogs, I really dont care.. We have found PLENTY of BIG bulls for the average joes to go hunt, it doesnt hurt my feelings. We scout just as hard anyways, just ask Jim and Matt.

Chad,

Although no one was watching.... I was nodding my head in agreeance as I read your post.... I am certain my post was read as an attack but it was nothing more than an end to bad direction. I know you guys are out there workin' hard, too..... And you are right there are big bulls all over... but as long as there are 420-440 type bulls coming from places like 9, 10, 8, 3a/3c, year in and year out it is safe to say that the herd can handle it. From what I can see there are pleanty of Big Bulls to go around this year... A Giant like this is a fantastic way to open up the year and get everyone's juices flowing! I am very glad that you took the time to get over to the Taxi and hold the bull for yourself. This is about a Victory for AZ public land elk/habitat and a Very happy hunter.... bulls like this Prove that the management and habitat improvements are alive and working in this state! As you mentioned, everyone has a scoring system they like/dislike.... it does not matter how or who scores it, or where it ends up in any of the books.... what a Bull! Best of luck on the regular season.

Gino, you put somecApiTal letters in some Weird Places!!!

what the.....i posted some pics that I got forwarded from a friend cause everyone wanted to see some pics that supposedly were of the 445. I said then and stick to it that it couldn't be this bull. I am all about some clown and his clone followers (coues n sheep) rippin on another outfitter all because I posted some forwarded photos. I am all about business conducting solid, sound business. Our economy has gotten to where it is today because of irresponsible business practices. It has nothing personal about a certain outfitter, but when I see some clones on here blowing sunshine about some sponsor of the site who I see is doing some false advertising I feel it is ok to call that out. I have lots of friends who hunt and they overemphasize sometimes.......I call them out when the score isn't what they say....its irresponsible this day and age. Even more so when someone makes money from it.

This is an overflow from the bull a couple years back where the named outfitter shot a velvet bull and posted a thread about some 430" typical......I didn't believe it then and I have yet to see a score sheet on that bull, so forgive me for not believing you on this. Do you clones want to provide that for me? If Discount Tires says they have some 20" tires for my truck and they end up being 18"...I'm pissed. Now if Discount Tire was your buddies in business you would defend them and say, "hey it's all about the person buying the tire, he loves the tire, why u have to diminish the buy of the tire, Discount works hard to sell their tires, they are a reputable business, plus if you measure the tire this way you will come up with 20". " How bout be real and then your will have some credibility. Now on this site you can't bring up concerns like that. How come on other public forums this can happen but not hear with the "Watch Dogs" . Feel free to dispel my opinion by providing facts....then I will accept it. Don't sink so low as to attack people and then say it wasn't an attack (it was a personal attack on everyone who disagreed with you). That was an unwarranted, irresponsible attack. And yes that was an attack back at you Coues n Sheep.

OH CRAP here we go again....Come on you guys :(

Thanks Clay!!!!!!

How about someone starts another post to debate cameras, guiding, outfitting, Mossback, Mullins, etc.... ;)

Let's talk about THIS BULL!!! He's a BIG one and sincere CONGRATS to the hunter!!!!!!! :)

S.

:)

With all the smack talkin I'm curious who you actually are Biscuits. Are you a guide in unit 9? Do you drive those white trucks with the flat beds?

OH CRAP here we go again....Come on you guys :(

Thanks Clay!!!!!!

How about someone starts another post to debate cameras, guiding, outfitting, Mossback, Mullins, etc.... ;)

Let's talk about THIS BULL!!! He's a BIG one and sincere CONGRATS to the hunter!!!!!!! :)

S.

:)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

There will be no "Attack of the Clones"..... if there were any such animal. ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well Said, Stanley! ;) No matter how many times you mumble "445.... and change" it just sounds amazing!!! I am certain this hunter is on a high like we can only hope for in our life time.... cuz there be Monsters in them hillz!! ;)

A lot of people have already said this but that's one heck of a bull no matter what the score. Great job guys! I know I'm super jealous when I see pics like this. I wish I was good enough to kill huge trophy animals like this.

Hey Biscuits you sound like a stand up guy. Some people don't like that trait in a person but I think its a good quality to have. I like a person who knows how to tell it like it is without blowing any smoke or filling you up with a bunch of BS. So far from what you have posted your not afraid to speak the truth or hide anything you just lay it all on the table. Kudos to you your a dieing breed. So like the person before me asked and the question probably everyone else reading this thread wants to know....... What's your real name?