Sign in to follow this  
bustedknuckleinc

"UPDATED PICS ADDED"Got my first Bull with my father"story added sorry it took so long"

Here are a few pics of my 2009 early bull. I was hunting with my father and would not change a thing it was a tough but fun hunt. I will post a story later.

Well this hunt this year fell at a bad time as it got warmer every day from day one. My father and I had expected to go out each morning running from bugle to bugle looking for my "NO BRAINER". Well that did not happen. We arrived at our chosen hunting location opening morning a good hour and a half before light waiting for the action to start. Waiting and Waiting but nothing, not one single bugle not even an imaginary one. A good hour after light my father and I just looked at each other bewildered. After doing a few cow calls and waiting some more with no results we decided to go scout another location. Again nothing. After eating a good breakfast I decided that I would go and sit on a good waterhole that I have seen some really good bulls on. My father went and did some more scouting for me on this evening. I picked a good spot up in the trees and settled in with a good view of the waterhole at about noon. At about 3:30 I heard one bugle and it was not very far away. Then at about 5:30 the bull really started hitting it hard bugling about every 5 to ten minutes. He was just up the hill in the trees but never really sounded as if he was getting any closer. So I decided to do some cow calls and this got him fired up even more. He got closer, so close that I knew that he was just beyond the darkness in the timber. I could hear him stomping around he just could not bring himself to come out. I did have a cow then a spike then another cow come into water. Then I found out why he was not coming out he had cows up there with him. They started talking about 45 minutes before dark. With this information I decided it might be push him over the edge if he herd another bull come in so close to his cows so I let out a bugle and it worked. Before I could finish one bugle he came stomping out of the trees. He stood facing me dead on at a hundred yards but would not turn broadside for a shot. Not seeing the bull that he had heard I knew that he was not buying what I was selling. After last light I snuck to the road and headed back to the truck. Not wanting the bull to get suspicious I let out some bugles to sound as if the other bull was fleeing and wow did it work. He got even more pissed he followed me on the ridge above for a good half mile letting me know that he was the dominate bull and that he had won.

Well the second morning was exactly as the first so I will just jump to the evening hunt. My father and I had talked about him doing some more scouting but then we decided it would be best that he come with me so we headed down to the waterhole at noon. Again at about 3:30 I heard the bull bugle again but only twice and he sounded more distant. Knowing that he had cows with him we decided to stay dead silent so we were. At about 5:00 he started bugling pretty regular and I could tell it was the same bull from the evening before. At about 5:30 we had another spike come in but it was not the same one from the night before as this one had a small fork on one side. Well about a half hour before dark his cows started sounding off and they were close. Next thing I know four cows came running out of the trees with the bull chasing two of them but they were not ready so he did not have much luck. They all came down to the waterhole and drank. The bull again was facing me dead on bugling his head off and wow that was cool to hear so close. He drank and drank and drank. It seemed like forever. From the second he came out of the trees I knew that I wanted to shoot him so I waited for him to turn broadside and then he finally did. At that time the cows had decided they did not like something and they bolted. As I shot he bolted as well. The bull ran about 15 yards and stumbled doing a circle. I thought for sure he would go down any second but instead he stood for a while then laid down. He did not seem like he was gut shot but he still had his head up. So I reloaded and snuck down to the dike for a second shot. He was down for the count. After walking up to him I found out that the first shot had hit him in the neck. He was bleeding good just not like a lung shot.

I was so happy that my father was there to experience this hunt with me. I am thankful for all that he has taught me and all the help he has given me as well. I will cherish your memories in the field together forever.

P.S. I posted a picture of the 300 gr bullet I found in his neck and wow there not kidding when they say 100% weight retention.

post-1965-1254517945.jpg

post-1965-1254517987.jpg

post-1965-1254518011.jpg

post-1965-1254518114.jpg

post-1965-1254519797_thumb.jpg

post-1965-1255202814_thumb.jpg

post-1965-1255202850_thumb.jpg

congrats to you & your dad on a great bull. Nothing better than father son hunts

You are very fortunate to be able to enjoy your hunt with your father. There are so many who wish they could do just that. Enjoy the moment and the memories will last you a life time for sure. Congratulations on your bull and thanks for sharing. Look forward to reading the story. :)

TJ

Great bull! Awesome to be able to share it with your father!

Great job guys!!, My father is also my #1 Hunting Buddy, and my #1 Buddy, period. Awesome!!! Love those chocolate horns!!!! Story por favor :) . Hopefully Dad and I can get it done on his late Nov tag. Just to hunt elk is a great adventure, you guys got a heck of a bonus!! Father/Son hunts are a sacred event.

Thanks to all. I really cherish every time I get to go out with my father. I will take a father son hunt over any other any time does not matter the game. A story will come soon I promise Thanks Again.