Sign in to follow this  
azcouesandelk

Dads December Buck

First of all I have to say that my dad pushed himself beyond his limits on this hunt. He scouted several weekends before the hunt including the 3 days prior to the hunt, he also hunted 6 full days by himself and 2 days with me before he harvested a buck. Throughout his scouting and the hunt he was able to find a couple of good buck, but nothing that he wanted because they were either to small or in areas he didnt think he could navigate safely. I would get updates daily while he was down by himself since I was either stuck in school or at work. He did come home for several days for my graduation from the fire academy and some much needed rest. On Wednesday the 23rd we went into an area we have hunted before in hopes of finding some good bucks. The morning started out great with lots of deer being seen and some good rutting activity. We watched several bucks chase does all over, make scrapes and even spar a little. We did manage to glass up 1 buck we thought would go close to 100, but the country was really rough and we didnt know if the buck had bedded in the canyon or not. We continued glassing finding several more bucks and then I glassed up a buck chasing does on a distant hill. We watched the buck go in some trees and never come out so we moved to get closer. When we arrived on the point I setup to relocate the buck and found him bedded in a matter of minutes. We started to setup and the buck got up and started to chase does. My dad had a solid rest and the buck stopped and I ranged him at 475 yards. My dad settled his 400 yard crosshair just above the bucks back and slowly squeezed the trigger. The buck hunched up and ran 20 yards and laid down under a tree. We moved around and my dad shot another time at the buck from 400 yards even, and I saw the buck just drop his head. Just to be safe I stayed back and led my dad into where the buck was. When he got about 20 yards from the tree the buck stood up, but my dad finished him off with a quick offhand shot. Afterwared we realized his first shot was a liver shot and that his second shot had grazed the bucks antler and skimmed along the top of his head! This is my dads 3rd buck and definately was his hardest hunt. He was able to break in his new rilfe and able to harvest his first animal with his own reloads and he is still on cloud 9! The buck isnt as big as he had hoped for, but my dad couldnt be more proud of him. The packout was a tough 3 1/2 miles and took 3 hours but it was worth it.

dads09deer-1.jpg

dads09deer-2.jpg

dads09deer-3.jpg

That was a great write-up Christian and please tell your Dad I said congratulations on his buck. Congratulations to you on your graduation from the fire academy as well. I'm glad you finally got to hunt with your Dad the day he harvested that buck. I'm sure it was a very special moment for the both of you and the memories of that hunt will be forever etched in your heads the rest of your lives. Thanks for sharing it with us here. :)

TJ

Excellent job Christian and two thumbs way up for your dad!! What a hunt and what a memory that will last fore ever! Good buck from 36C correct? Congratulations to both of you.

Ernesto C

Congrats Christian to you and your dad! Awesome write up and awesome buck!