bowhuntaz1

Feral hogs in Arizona

Wilcox would actually be perfect for feral hogs, I have actually been told that there are some down there. Wilcox has a lot of farm land and various fruit orchards which means fruit on the ground and tons of flooded areas where there going to be able to have water. Tried looking for them down there a few time found javelina and that's about it no luck finding the feral ones but I just could of been in the wrong place.

Feral pigs would never be prolific (like in Texas) in southern Arizona I wouldn't think mainly due to the summer heat here and the availability (or lack thereof) of water. Hogs do not do well in heat and cannot go far from water when it's hot. Therefore, during summer months they would likely only be found within a half mile or so of water or else they would not survive which would limit their overall numbers.

Just some thoughts from a tranplanted Texas dude who has killed truckloads of hogs and trapped even more.

Feral hogs taste horrible, even a hungry grizz wouldn't eat it.

Next forum member to bag one can contact me, I'll get rid of the meat. I wouldn't even charge a penny. :-D

• Like 1

For anywhere in southern AZ, find water and thick brush. We have them around my place, but they are mostly on the NM side along the river and venture into AZ sometimes. They do a lot of damage for how few there are here. They can turn an acre of alfalfa into a mudhole in about six hours and not be found in the morning.

I have gone after them before, but they hit the thick stuff in the river bottom and a 12ga with a 3" mag shooting #4 shot wont penetrate it. They love the thick stuff, they move pretty good through it. Even using eastern whitetail method of pushing them is tough to do because of the dense cover they like around here.

• Like 1

Anyone hear or know of them around Duncan arizona have been hearing from a few people they are in there

• Like 1

I've seen their aftermath in the Agua Fria grasslands on the Prescott NF as well as up on the AZ Strip in a couple of areas, including the Virgin River. I can point you to some of the areas on the strip where your chances of finding them are fairly good. The Virgin River has a bunch of private land mixed in, so that is tougher.

As for TX, I'm fortunate to have 3 ranches that let me shoot all the pigs I want for free! I refuse to pay $500+ for 2-3 days and only shoot 2 hogs, which is fairly common on several of those outfits.

I've seen their aftermath in the Agua Fria grasslands on the Prescott NF as well as up on the AZ Strip in a couple of areas, including the Virgin River. I can point you to some of the areas on the strip where your chances of finding them are fairly good. The Virgin River has a bunch of private land mixed in, so that is tougher.

As for TX, I'm fortunate to have 3 ranches that let me shoot all the pigs I want for free! I refuse to pay $500+ for 2-3 days and only shoot 2 hogs, which is fairly common on several of those outfits.

I think that we just found the organizer! Free pigs! Let's go! I will drive, everyone splits the gas!

• Like 2