lionhunter

Strangest thing that has ever came into your call???

About five years ago in the white mountains during a fall bear season, I called in what I thought was a wolf. It was an extremely large canine, however, it looked weird and sickly, but had a huge tracking collar around its neck. I stood up and waved my arms at it and it went back into the brush. I thought afterwards that it might have been a bear or lion dog with its tracking collar, but it was not a bluetick, redbone, or any hound doug that I had ever seen before. It looked like a mangy wolf to me!

I have also called in an immature bald eagle that was spotted white and brown on its feathers and head last year at Four Peaks. I figured it must have been passing by to Roosevelt Lake or something.

I've called in more elk than I have deer, but never a javelina nor an illegal.

Keith

Was the collar orange? If so it was a wolf. I saw one near Springerville feeding on a dead moo cow. Started to follow us I videotaped the event just in case that wolf came up dead and I could prove it was alive and well when I left.

Here is what I called up on the last day of javelina season in Unit 18B a few years ago. From time we saw her to the end (21 steps) took just over two minutes! And she had javelina parts in her stomach. She didn't come in cause she was hungry, she came in cause she was going to kill something? Time was 11 a.m. Go Figure!

I too have had deer, pigs, and angry cattle come in, and one time on the Antelope Eaters hunt in the north part of Unit 10, my then partner Bruce Hudson called in 17 cow elk while using the Tally Ho mouth call.

I even called in a mounted up cowboy in Unit 18B who said he heard the screams and wanted to know what the racket was!

That's what makes calling so neat..you just never know..

Don Martin

AWO

post-3669-0-54883400-1299982308_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Glassed up 3 lions chasing a deer, so we started calling while watching those 3 lions, a 4th lion came in from out of no where and stopped 5' infront of me. My right hand was holding the mouth call in my mouth and the left hand was holding my bow in my lap...

I’ve called in a nudist on the upper Verde, A crazy guy yelling at the bushes as he beat them with a stick, had a man walk between my partners rifle and a bobcat, called in rattlesnakes an about everything else with fur and feathers. The scariest, I was calling on the San Carlos Indian Res and there was something big coming down the hill behind me and I thought it was cows until around the bush came a local boy with his SKS up to his shoulder and pointed at me, and his 2 little brothers behind him..

Another question is… How close you have called critters in? A friend of mine had a hawk hit him in the side of the head. I’ve harvested coyotes and fox at less the 2 steps.

About five years ago called in a wolf in unit 1. Last year called in a red tail hawk that decided he wanted my woodpecker decoy more than I. :). He finally dropped it about 50 yards out.

Brian

I have called in a heard of about 20 cow elk with a pup distress... I thought the lead cow was gonna stomp my caller. also had a cow elk pop up and start barking at me from about 80yds. had hawks swoop my head... actually had to duck. seem to call up mule deer on a regular basis, especially when it's windy! had about 12 does come charging out of a big wash! they came to about 10 yds! I could actually hear them calling back real faint! my brother in-law didn't believe me so next time we were in this area it was windy and we dropped over the ridge and started a doe bleat... within 5 min a doe pops up calling back to us from 25 yds!

james

A friend of mine found a dead big horn sheep he called the g&f so he could take it and have it mounted they would not let him I seen one of the officers out in the field and asked what became of the goat he said the other officer kept it.

Just this morning I was out calling and a redtail hawck swooped in and was coming in low and fast on the decoy. Had to jump up and scare it off...ruined the stand to say the lease. Thought it was cool to see the hawk in dive bomb mode though.

called in a mountain lion last year in the first 15 seconds of stand...charged full speed straight at my dad...dad spun with his rifle and dropped it within 5 feet of him. It was over in less than 30 seconds.

here she is...what an ordeal....no tag, G&F officer, investigation, blah, blah, blah. ruined a great day of calling.

mountainlion.jpg

could you keep it?

A couple of weeks ago I called in a male pronghorn. He ended up bedding down in the area right in front of me. I figured what the heck I'll just keep calling and use him as live bait in case there was a lion around.

While hunting choppers place a few years ago I'd tried a jackrabbit wailed as I heard pigs can respond to predator calls some times. Never did call in a pig but I called in 3 blacktail deer one of which ran by at a full sprint within about 10 feet. Guess those deer really like jackrabbits.

Called a owl in that must of landed behind the juniper my call was in and walked around to where I could see him. All I could see was the head and ears sticking up and thought it was a bob cat. Took the shot and missed when it took flight and soared right over my head. Pretty sure bobcats don't fly! Lol

• Like 2