Sign in to follow this  
Heat

AZ Taxidermists?

Go to the taxi's studio and study an example the animal you want done. Take pictures, then do the same at other taxi's. Compare, even post them on the forum and ask for opinions. When you decide, go back to the taxi and ask him if the same person who did the mount you like, will do yours. Let him know that you are a perfectionist. Then you will do fine.

Years ago, I took my 95" velvet coues buck to a highly recommended taxi, a sponsor on this site. I liked his work on coues, so I picked him. When I got it back, it didn't look anything like his work. I never found out for sure, but I suspected that he sub-contracted it out to another taxi.

Two taxis that I would recommend that you should look into are Mark Plunket, Wildlife Creations in Camp Verde, and Jim Hartsock, Southwest Wildlife, Scottsdale.

Do your homework and you will get a mount that you like.

Mark

I agree. You should also tell the taxidermist how you want the eyes to look for yourself as well as ear positioning, etc. Many people do not let a taxidermist know what they want, so the taxidermist will set it to how they like the animal to look. Be specific in what you tell them. Eyes wide open and fully alert, or a lazy look to them like they are half asleep. One ear forward and the other back, both back, both forward, at sides, you can go on and on and on. Know what you want, and make sure they know it too. It's your money and investment.

Because he is in Tucson, I haven't had Weller do any work for me. That said, I have seen some of the mounts he has done and have a few photos of Coues he mounted in the "How To Hunt Coues Deer Book." They look like good taxidermy work. I don't know much about the other two sponsors on CWT, but I did see a couple mounts Dale did at the recent taxidermy show. They looked quite good.

Over the last 20 years or so, Marc Plunket has mounted about 20 animals for me. They included a lifesize bear & wallaby, shoulder mounts of Coues & eastern whitetail bucks, red stag, chamois, tahr and 10 African critters. He has also done a mule deer pedestal. We refer to my family room addition as the "Plunket Museum." Everything he has done has turned out great, but when he moved from Phx to Camp Verde, it became somewhat inconvenient to use him.

So after seeing the work of Chris Kreuger at Kreuger Creations (See Tam's thread for sample of his lion work), I decided to use him. He also consistently wins awards for his work. In the past 8 months, I have brought several items to him. He's working on my scimitar oryx as we speak, and he has two good TX whitetail bucks I shot last winter, which will become a double pedestal mount. He's also doing a diorama with a bobcat and d'back rattler for me. He won a Best of Show in the Masters division at the last AZ Taxidermy Assoc. show with a similar one that had a javelina and snake.

The moral: Pick a taxidermist with a good reputation and history of turning out good mounts for CUSTOMERS. Do NOT base your selection ONLY on what's hanging in their shops.

The photos ain't too hot, but these are from the recent ATAA show.

ataa-2010-bos-600.jpg

Chris Krueger

Javelina

1st Place-Masters

Best Of Category-Lifesize-Masters

Breakthrough Judges Choice-BEST OF SHOW

WASCO Award

McKenzie Best Lifesize-Mammal

Taxidermist Challenge

Best All-Around

Competitors Award

Western Diamondback Rattlesnake

2nd Place-Masters

ataa-2010-71-600.jpg

Chris Krueger

1st Place-Masters

ataa-2010-72-600.jpg

Chris Krueger

Cinnamon Teal

2nd Place-Masters

McKenzie Best Bird

I have used PYN (Patrick Newman) in San Manuel on several animals. He does excellent work. He has done Coues, Mule Deer and Elk so far and I drew Desert Sheep this year and if I am successful he will be doing that also.

Rex Jensen in Virden, NM does outstanding work. 505-358-2414. If you ever do get a coues, he does the best work of anyone I've ever seen. Really knows the animals he does well.

Thanks a bunch everybody!

I think I have a great selection to pick from here. I'm going to start making a few phone calls.

Much obliged,

Nick

Nick, almost all of the taxidermist mentioned in the replys do high quality work. You will most likely be happy with any of them. What I tell people about selecting a taxidermist is first is he a legal and licesened businessman? Does he have the proper permits to work where he is or is there a chance he will get shut down by the city he is in?(he needs more than just a taxidermy licence). Is he here for the long haul? Second, go look at his work. compare his work to photos of live animals. When you look at the work do the trophies look alive or are they just antler holders? The animals should look soft and alive. don't always take your buddies opinion on this, you have to live with the mount, not him. What is important to someone else may not be as important to you. Ask to see what he uses for reference as he mounts. It dosen't matter if he has mounted 5 deer or 5000, a good taxidermist still uses reference. Ask him if he uses a commercial tannery or tans himself. This is a touchy subject. As a general rule, most taxidermist are not chemist or experts in tanning skins. My opinion is let the experts tan the skins. Ask about what his terms are. Will they work for you. ie. deposts, turnaround time, return policy, etc. Lastly look at price. As a general rule . You Get What You Pay For. If you want it done right and to your satisfaction it may cost you more. when done correctly and with proper supplies the mounts of today should out last your grandkids grandkids with the proper care. so the extra 100-150 you pay for a high quality mount equates into pennie per month.

I could babble on but I'll stop here.

Jim

Southwest Wildlife Taxidermy LLC

I use Jerry's taxidermy. He is very good. He takes pride in his work and he sends all his capes to a tannery. As far as i know he has never lost a cape either.

Hey Jim, just saw your post. A lot of good info.

My family and I use Southwest Wildlife and am very very satisfied with the work. Jim is a true artist and I would trust him with my most cherished trophy.

Dave

Years ago, I took my 95" velvet coues buck to a highly recommended taxi, a sponsor on this site. I liked his work on coues, so I picked him. When I got it back, it didn't look anything like his work. I never found out for sure, but I suspected that he sub-contracted it out to another taxi.

Two taxis that I would recommend that you should look into are Mark Plunket, Wildlife Creations in Camp Verde, and Jim Hartsock, Southwest Wildlife, Scottsdale.

Do your homework and you will get a mount that you like.

Mark

Jim Hartsock, Owner of Southwest Wildlife is doing a full body on my archery lion. I stopped by his shop today and the form is looking perfect. Jim is going to put the skin on and bring it to my house next week (Scottsdale to Glendale) to make sure that the lion head and eye viewing angle are perfect. I have NEVER had customer service like this from anyone! I am stoked!

Mark