Sign in to follow this  
azslim

Guides - My Opinion

I replied to a pm with this and thought I would post it so all know where I stand. Primadonna's piss me off!

I teach it the right way, but my way is not the only way. I don't use trail cam's, bait, etc but don't berate those that do. I love to see the pics. I'm not above shooting game that is right next to the road as I am traveling into/out of my area, even tho the bulk of my time is spent on foot miles from my rig - I've packed lots of game long distances and if I don't have to yea me. I've built my own muzzle loaders, self bows, arrows and mtn man gear and hunted with them - so should I tell folks that if they haven't and can't or don't use the same gear they are doing it wrong? I've got to watch the attitude change from filling the freezer for the family to live on to nothing but racks. In my opinion that has resulted in changing the hunting mindset for the worse more than the new technology available - with hunting shows leading the way. If you are against new technology then start using an old rifle with open sights, a Weaver K2, K3 or K4 scope that is fixed power and bino's from that era and pitch your rangefinder. You can pick and choose what new gear YOU want to take advantage of but don't hold it against others that use gear that you don't. Usually one hunt a year is a client(s) that the kid wants to hunt but the adult has no idea what to beyond shooting. I take them out to shoot the first legal animal and teach them how to field dress, skin & butcher - all the things necessary to be a successful hunter, all the things that were handed down to you. Not everyone grows up in a family with a hunting tradition. I don't get any return business but could care less, I've started a family down the right path. I get more satisfaction from a first time hunter, I've had them from 10 to 45 years old, taking a spike then putting someone with deep pockets on a B&C animal.

I hate USO too and resent being painted with the same brush, were we face to face we would go round and round about it. I know a lot of guides in the state and none of them fall into the USO bucket. Have you ever gone to an AES, RMEF, ADA or similar org banquet? Those hunts that people bid on, they are donated by Outfitters and the org gets the money which is used to improve habitat. Do you do anything similar donating money or time to help out. Or how about the OE4A or HOAL hunts, I donate my time, gas and skills to those hunts, usually costs me a couple hundred bucks instead of making money. If it sounds like you touched a nerve, you did. The bulk of us are just guys that like to get in the field, and guiding is a way to do it and cover expenses and get a little gear. It darn sure won't make me rich.

What you are talking about is called "ethics" and each person has to decide what theirs is as no 2 people are exactly the same. But just because your ethics are different than mine doesn't make either one right or wrong - as long as they are legal it is the business of no one but the person involved. I tell my kids "would you be proud to tell your Grandma the story?" If not then it probably isn't ethical. As far as trashing a site that has been salted, a camera put up, etc. Do you know who put it up and why? I know several folks that are handicapped, one in a wheel chair, one with one leg and a couple with COPD that have to have O2 tanks with them. They obviously can't cover the country so sites they can easily access are mandatory, and if salt improves their chances of getting something then great, it's legal and none of our business unless G&F changes the rules. What alternative do they have, they don't want to stay home.

My guess is you are a 20 to 30some year old that is having success and feeling pretty good about yourself. Wait until you are over 50 with bad knees, a bad back and arthritis that kicks your butt on cold mornings. You'll be able to cover country but not like you did when you were 20 years younger.

Time to jump off my soapbox - but to the ethics thing - would you be proud to tell your Grandma that you trashed someone's spot where they had put up a camera and salt? I know I would be mortally embarrassed to tell that story to mine if they were still alive.

AMEN to that bro! I'm with you.

People must understand that like anything else....there good and bad outfitters, there are good and bad hunters etc etc and so on.

Well put azslim...................Ernesto C

Azslim, I hope everyone that ever visits this site has a chance to read this. You touched my feelings to the bone my friend. Well put! :)

TJ

AMEN to that bro! I'm with you.

People must understand that like anything else....there good and bad outfitters, there are good and bad hunters etc etc and so on.

Well put azslim...................Ernesto C

+1 ;)

Good post! Best of luck to you and your hunters this fall!

great write up- i agree - the only thing i see is just isn't long enough to cover all the good stuff or the crap that goes on - like we got the readers digest version- lol - thanks - gary

Thank you for posting that for all to read. You put into words what I think a lot of us have in our minds.

Great post. Too bad things like this need to be said, most of it should just be common sense, but that is uncommon these days. I hope every hunter is happy with their trophy, what ever that is to that hunter.