Sign in to follow this  
pwrguy

Alaskan Yukon Moose

Wow, what a long hard hunt. I'm going to attempt to post a couple of pictures from Michael's computer, and then start adding the story below as time permits. I am still stuck in Anchorage until tonight.

post-3437-1285107704_thumb.jpg

I dont even know what to say. Cant figure out where to even start. All I know is that it was the looongest, toughest hunt I think I have ever been on. I ended up blowing a stalk on a B&C bull and other stalks on 50-60" bulls. After a while I decided to harvest any meat bull be it a spike or a world record. Well I didnt get a world record or a spike but somewhere in the middle. He sure eats goooood!!! All that long range preparation only to shoot this thing in the head at 20 yards.

Rex and I will have to figure out how to approach and condense the story. It would take hours to go over the whole thing as it is.

post-3424-1285124051_thumb.jpg

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:o :o :o :o :o Oh my God......dont even know what to say!! :o

Ernesto C :o

I got to congratulate you guys on your mooses. lol Only in my dreams I'm afraid. Thanks for sharing. :)

TJ

Well done on a nice bull. I was up there a couple of weeks ago and the weather was real windy, wet, and cold but I heard it turned real warm this last week and a half so the animals really shut down during the day so congrats on getting it done.

Wow!!!

Awesome- i'll be looking forward to hearing the story!

Hope ya get back soon.

Well, I made it back to Arizona 9:30 AM on Wednesday. 200 pounds of moose meat are safely ensconced in my freezer and one very large box with antlers also made it in one piece. I have a lot of catching up to do so I can't tell the complete story yet. Here is a little taste of some of the "fun" we had. Keep a 4 wheeler intact is a very large part of the battle on these hunts. We all experienced some type of overheating issue due to broken hoses, punctures radiators, clogged radiators and failed cooling fans. At one point Micheal had to go all the way to Fairbanks to have Charlie's radiator repaired after a stick drove it's way through it.

I spent 3 weeks away from home, but the actuall day's hunting was around 8. All the other day's were spent getting ready, hauling meat and bone, repairing quads and processing meat. We also had at least 2 full day's of travel time, except for me...I had a couple of flying day's as well.

...to be continued........

post-3437-1285269088_thumb.jpg

post-3437-1285269109_thumb.jpg

post-3437-1285269154_thumb.jpg

post-3437-1285269167_thumb.jpg

Notice how my rifle is in a pelican case. This country EATS 'gunboots' alive. In 05, I watched a buddy snap his rifle in half while it was riding in a gun boot.

It is a constant battle to keep sticks out of radiators and tires. Below is a picture of burnt brush. There is a field full of them. I call it stegosarus field. Eventually, one punctured my tire and she had to be plugged and aired up. The next picture shows a BIG stick that I saw at the last second and dynamited the brakes. A few inches over to the left and it would have been my radiator.

post-3424-1285279348_thumb.jpg

post-3424-1285279653_thumb.jpg

post-3424-1285279860.jpg

post-3424-1285279937_thumb.jpg