Sign in to follow this  
EagleEye

Update on the Lost 7E Bull

They shoulda let you keep it then and there. Makes ya never want to call em and get on the "good" side of the law. They say the law is the law. They would have bent the law it if it was a spike.I is a shame you have to buy it back. I hope the word gets out about it being your's at the auction. If I'm at the expo I'll help ya out and open the bid at 1 penny.

Seems to me that Game and Fish is 'GAMIN' hunters!

Last year I was helping a buddy who had a cow tag in Unit 1, dec. hunt. We found a bull that had been shot and not recovered during what we believed would have been the rifle hunt. With the snow drifted up on it, and the animal feeding that had taken place, it was obvious that it had been there a while. It had a decent 5x5 rack that my buddy wanted but we thought it was best to notify G&F and ask them if he could take it. We ran into a fish cop that day and spoke to him, told him where it was and where we were camped and he said he'd check it out and let us know. When we got back to camp that evening he had been by and left a note saying that he had found a bullet in the carcass, so he 'had' to take the bullet and antlers and keep them for 'evidence'. So, since he had no idea who had shot the bull, maybe it makes sense that he needed 'evidence', but in your case where there is no question about what happened and who shot the critter, it makes no sense that you cannot keep your trophy. Regardless of the outcome, you did the right thing and are to be commended for that.

:blink: :o :o it was Steve Chappell . . . . my gosh i got all of his extreme bulls collection!!!

i wonder if it's going to be in the next video and what he has to say about it. . . . wow

I try to stay out of the hunting drama but I can not keep my mouth shut on this one. I have followed the whole issue with Steve losing his bull and tonight when I came across this it really ticked me off.

http://www.muleycrazy.com/phpbbforum/viewt...?f=3&t=1702

So Game and Fish did not let Steve take his bull because it was not recovered during the hunt. Well I can respect that since it was a law and Steve has the option to buy his bull back at the ISE show. But when I saw that game and fish was allowing this hunter to take possesion of his bull that was recovered after the hunt , it kinda upset me.

I don't like to get caught up in this drama but I have heard nothing but great things about Steve and I don't think he was treated fair on his case.

The WM for unit 8 has my respect for doing the right thing and allowing the unit 8 archery hunter to take possesion of his bull.

post-896-1288337240_thumb.jpg

maybe you can have a bunch of flyers about your story printed out and stand at the entry way to the show passing them out. might keep you out of a bidding war.

:blink: :o :o it was Steve Chappell . . . . my gosh i got all of his extreme bulls collection!!!

i wonder if it's going to be in the next video and what he has to say about it. . . . wow

Yes he said the hunt will be on the next eb video.

A tip of the cap to you Steve for your gentlemanly attitude about this unfortunate saga. I too hope you can buy your bull elk back without too much financial pain. Anyone who bids on the antlers with knowledge of this incident is truly not someone you'd ever want to share a campfire with. Best wishes in your quest to recover your elk.

good luck

I did some "investigative journalism" on this tale today. As a result, I have put Steve in touch with someone at G&F who will try to assist him in getting his antlers returned without having to go through the auction BS. No guarantee, but it MIGHT lead to a nice reunion. ;)

Hello Guys, here is some words Steve put up on MM about the outcome hope GF lets him get back thanks to all of your knowledge.

Thanks again for all of your support, encouragement, and advice. Here's a quick update on the situation with my bull.

I did go ahead and "Petition the Commission" for a hearing regarding my bull. In the petition I described the events of my hunt and the circumstances and facts surrounding the recovery of the antlers. I made reference in the petition to this forum. Hopefully, I will hear back from the Director soon with a hearing date. By the way, Game & Fish was very helpful with the petition process and how I should go about it.

With the fact of the unit 8 hunter being awarded his bull back under similar circumstances there is certainly a precedence set here. Thanks guys for bringing that to light. I just want to be treated with the same fairness as he was.

A sincere thanks to Charlie Rust (who found my bull). Without him and his honesty and graciousness, I would have no chance for a happy ending to this.

I will keep you posted on how this petition turns out. Hopefully, I get to tag and bring home my bull soon.

For those of you following Steve put this on MM and had some texts back fourth on fri GF did not give him the antlers back and hopefully know one else bids on them at the auction in Feb at the expo.

Well guys I'm sorry to report that I was not given my antlers back at the hearing. What can I say? I think it's a sad day for ethical hunters when honesty doesn't pay off.

Here are the reasons I was given;

1. The Commission stated that "my tag is valid only for the season and dates that it was issued for. Upon the season ending, my tag immediately became void and therefore I cannot legally tag my bull after the season".

2. According to Game & Fish the Unit 8 officer that returned the antlers to the rightful hunter violated both regional and Department policy by doing so and did not discuss his actions through the respective chain of command. According to G & F "appropriate personnel performance correction has occurred for the officer involved".

So, after this whole process and two trips to Game & Fish, I must buy my antlers at the public auction in order to get them back.

Wish I had better news to report. Hope none of you ever have to go through this process. Shoot a little better than I did and you won't have to.

Steve

P.S. Elkchaser, thanks for being there and for your support and well thought out comments to the commission.

THE LAW IS THE LAW. IF LIBERALS CONTINUE TO DO THEIR STUFF WE WILL NOT BE HUNTING AT ALL. SO IF YOU DONT WANT LAWS THEN BECOME A LIBERAL. AND ENJOY.

Sad. Steve, sorry to hear the G&F is dropping the ball on this one. ACDC's "Moneytalks" is playing in my head......

THE LAW IS THE LAW. IF LIBERALS CONTINUE TO DO THEIR STUFF WE WILL NOT BE HUNTING AT ALL. SO IF YOU DONT WANT LAWS THEN BECOME A LIBERAL. AND ENJOY.

Huh? :blink: