Sign in to follow this  
SunDevil

DEFINITIONS

Alright, I think we need to get some definitions out here for terms used to describe bucks based on their size.

I think 6 sizes would be good. Lets use:

1) < 80"

2) 80" - 89"

3) 90" - 99"

4) 100" - 109"

5) 110" - 119"

6) 120" +

My definitions would be as follows:

1) Little

2) Nice

3) Good

4) Whopper

5) Toad

6) Monster

What does everyone else think? CB

Alright, I think we need to get some definitions out here for terms used to describe bucks based on their size.

I think 6 sizes would be good.  Lets use:

1) < 80"

2) 80" - 89"

3) 90" - 99"

4) 100" - 109"

5) 110" - 119"

6) 120" +

My definitions would be as follows:

1) Little

2) Nice

3) Good

4) Whopper

5) Toad

6) Monster

What does everyone else think?  CB

I like small instead of little, but everything else great.

Redman

1)shooter

2)shooter

3) shooter DONT MISS

4)shooter........ how many rounds do i have?

5)shooter.... miss, 10 feet high, miss 10 feet low... miss 10 feet left aw dang hes gone

6) man that things a monster!!! turn around and walk the other way!!!!

Thats's good. Sounds good to me!

:ph34r:

How about;

1) -80 = meat buck

Everthing else is good :ph34r:

I'm going to say up to 65" would be a small buck. Since 65"+ qualify for Boone and Crocket, I will say 65 to 79" is a decent buck. 80" to 90" is a big buck. 90" to 99" is huge. 100" to 110" is a toad. 111-120" Monster. 120+ every hunters dream.

I'm going to say up to 65" would be a small buck.  Since 65"+ qualify for Boone and Crocket, I will say 65 to 79" is a decent buck.  80" to 90" is a big buck. 90" to 99" is huge.  100" to 110" is a toad.  111-120" Monster. 120+ every hunters dream.

I think you mean Pope and Young? Otherwise I have shot some record book bucks,lol.

I vote for firstcoues rendition.

BUt agree the lower score should start at 65. Cause it P&Y,

How about including distance you will travel aand pains you will go through to take the shot.

ie,

<44, self defence only, or if I see him first

45-65, all the above+if he happens to stumble into me

65-80, atb+if he's within range from where I sit

80-90, atb+will cross a canyon, maybe 2

90-100, atb +Will cross several canyons and a catclaw thicket

100-110, atb+ ocotillo thicket, deploy rapelling gear if needed, swim a pond

110<, atb + Clean the binos, Clean the binos again, Clean the binos and the spottign scope, cross several mountain ranges, spend 3 nights on the mountian with just whats on your back

Of course this reverses proportionatley with the amount of days left in the season, and by last afternoon has completely reversed. LOL

And staggers down for archery season.

Shane

I personally lean more towards cousehunter84. I think any buck is OK to shoot. I find it hard to think about calling a 70 inch buck small. that would be like calling a 130" eastern whitetail and a 150 inch carp a small buck. I don't know to many people that are going to pass those bucks.

Then again you are talking to the wrong person. The last 2 years I've shot 4pt bucks (including eye guards). It wasn't because I was looking for that buck. I was just looking for A buck. These bucks were just the unlucky ones.

I find it difficult to judge a bucks size when I'm pulling the trigger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think alot of what you consider "big" has to do with experience. I haven't shot many coues deer. Heck I'm happy to just get one. Now on the other hand I have passed many 360-370" bulls and never even thought about shooting them. Why? Because I think of them as your 80" buck. Then again when you have much bigger already hanging on the wall you have hopes of finding something even bigger.

It is all perspective and everyone's is a little different.

Next year......nothing under 90".......unless that spike walks by......it would be tough for me to pass that little buck.

Later,

recurveman

When describing coues bucks with other members of my family, we pretty much use SunDevil's definitions because in our experience those definitions fit the deer that we see. Quite a few deer will go over 80", but once you get towards 100" they are starting to get quite scarce.

However, I also agree with Recurveman in that it is all relative to your experience and the area you are hunting. Around where I grew up, a 150" mule deer was considered to be very nice and you would never pass one up. If I had grown up hunting the Colorado high country my definition of a big muley would probably be a bit different. Same thing with elk in different hunt units. Some units a 300" bull is nice and others you would pass it up looking for something 350" or bigger.

My first coues buck was a tiny 2 point, and I mean tiny is an understatement. My second, which just came this October was a 3 point that is probably just under 70". So I will have to agree with recurveman about experience and what one considers big or nice, etc. This year I would have taken any buck but now I hope to improve a little next year and would be absolutely thrilled to get a crack at even an 80" buck. As hard as the hunt was this year I have more respect each year for the coues deer and how hard they are to tag.

The size of a deer is in the eye of the beholder. I know the deer I want to shoot when I see it and that changes from season to season, day to day, and unit to unit. I define a good buck by seeing my tag on it. Sometimes you gotta let the 130" bucks live and shoot a spike you know. :ph34r:

1)shooter

2)shooter

3) shooter DONT MISS

4)shooter........ how many rounds do i have?

5)shooter.... miss, 10 feet high, miss 10 feet low... miss 10 feet left aw dang hes gone

6) man that things a monster!!! turn around and walk the other way!!!!

I'd have to agree with Casey on this one :ph34r: