Sign in to follow this  
rclouse79

suggestion to azgfd

The fact I am posting this means I once again sucked it up on the javalina archery hunt. I submitted this suggestion to the azgfd. It seemed like a good idea to me, but was wondering if peolpe saw some cons I didn't think of.

I think the following change regarding javalina tags would be beneficial. Three days before the javalina rifle season a hunter could bring an unused javalina archery tag into a game and fish office and purchase a left over javalina rifle tag. I listed what I believe to be the pros.

1) The number of javalina tags being sold is below what the department has calculated for healthy herds. This would allow hunters to help the game and fish meet its quota for the number of pigs taken each year.

2) Selling an additional rifle tag to unsuccessful javalina archery hunters would generate more income for azgfd.

3) Additional money would be generated for businesses around the state.

4) All hunters who did not participate in the archery hunt would have ample time to purchase a leftover tag before archery hunters could buy a second tag.

5) Hunters would still only be able to harvest one javalina per year.

The other option would be to just have an open archery javalina season similar to the current setup for deer. Thank you for reading my suggestion.

I think they should sell ANY OTC tags to a hunter that didn't tag out, deer included. I'd like to see tags prices remain steady for a while and this should help I would assume. Just doesn't make sense an unsuccessful hunter can't go purchase another tag and try again if there are some left over. Archers frequently hold two tags for deer and can only fill one, what's the difference? If a rifle deer hunter is unsuccessful in Oct and there are left-overs for Nov, I don't see the harm in him purchasing another tag.

I agree. I've also been told that they're working on how they could implement this. I'm sure there was no smoke being blown either :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: It's a whole "permit" as opposed to a "non-permit" tag issue, right now.

Imo, I think even previously successfull hunters should be able to purchase leftover permits. If AZGFD decides an area can support x number of permits, then what difference is it which hunter is filling them?

Imo, I think even previously successfull hunters should be able to purchase leftover permits. If AZGFD decides an area can support x number of permits, then what difference is it which hunter is filling them?

+1

Do they calculate the numbers of tags based on hunter’s success? Say if they want 50 animals taken they can issue one hundred tags because only 50% of hunters are successful. Or do they plan for 100% success? Depending on the way the tags are calculated would determine if you turn in an old tag for a new one or are allowed a larger bag limit if there are left over tags. If it is on hunter success you would have to take into account that someone that has already filled their tag might have a better then a 50% chance of filling another tag. I do like the idea of issuing out left over tags, however they want to do it.

Do they calculate the numbers of tags based on hunter's success? Say if they want 50 animals taken they can issue one hundred tags because only 50% of hunters are successful. Or do they plan for 100% success? Depending on the way the tags are calculated would determine if you turn in an old tag for a new one or are allowed a larger bag limit if there are left over tags. If it is on hunter success you would have to take into account that someone that has already filled their tag might have a better then a 50% chance of filling another tag. I do like the idea of issuing out left over tags, however they want to do it.

It's definitely the former....... The absolutely take into account 'average' success rates for each hunt (Amongst other things like harvest objectives, etc...) to help them determine how may tags to issued. The do not plan for 100% success.

S.

:)

Thanks to a good friend for this gem..."The only thing worse than not getting a pig, is getting a pig" Thanks Jack!

But I agree, second chance tags would be a great idea! I would love the opportunity to put another arrow right through the legs of a Stink Pig staring down my sights.

Great post!

You are correct about this needing to be done, this also includes left over rifle tags in southern units for deer.

In order for this to be done this has to go through the rule change agenda, I think this is part of artical 3, it just so happens they are looking at this specific artical and all changes have to be done by Mrs. Brewer. We all need to send these type of letters to g&F so they go into the public record request. I beleive g&F would also like to change this and they could use letters as support.

sell the tags over the counter and have a quota for each unit youths should be allowed to harvest more than one a year

dont quote me on this as i wasnt even of born or of hunting age yet but for some of the more experienced guys on here. didnt they used two allow you if you shot a mule deer on your drawn tag be able two go and buy a left over whitetail tag for down south? now im talking 70's 80's 90's some time in there. i seem two remember my grandpa talking about it.

We used to buy archery javelina tags over the counter, and if our success wasn't that good, you could apply for a rifle tag, or get a left over. Several year ago you could go into game and fish and buy leftover javelina tags if you were not successful with your bow or if you coundn't get out much during the archery hunt.

One thing that has changed is AZGFD department realized when you walk in for a leftover tag, if you fill out the application, they could charge you the application fee. This meaning you would be putting in more than one application per genus(animal type), they only allow one per year per genus. It all comes down to them getting extra revenue out of the application fee.

It used to be great when we could by an archery javelina tag over the counter and hunt anywhere in the state. Good times.........long gone. They wanted more control over the javelina population, thus designated hunt areas.

I do not think they will change this because they want the app fee for leftovers, not to mention control over the pig population.

Just a general comment....

As it is now, NO changes can be made to any of this because Gov. Brewer has extended the moratorium on any proposed rule changes by ANY state agency unless it is something that involves health or safety. This has been in effect for a few years now. So even if G&F wanted to change the way tags are dispensed, its hands are tied until the moratorium is rescinded.

I like this idea. I drew a January tag and got to hunt about 4 total hours because of an injury that required surgery in December. I feel great now that my hunt is over and I missed it. I would love the chance to have another crack at it this season. Why not go ahead and generate some revenue instead of the tag going to waste?? I would love to give them some money for another tag.

I just had the same thought today as I retired an unfilled javelina archery tag. I'd be at G&F tomorrow to purchase a leftover rifle tag if that was the way things worked.