Sign in to follow this  
Codywhi

2011 southern az bear

Well my dad and I have been after this southern Arizona spring bear tag for 5 years now and this year I was lucky enough to draw it. My hunt stared out great I had around 15 different bears located on two different watering sources, My dad and I where hiking 4 miles into a large wilderness area 3 to 4 times a week checking are cams and sitting these two water sources… It all seemed to be falling together perfect!!!!!! Then two weeks ago all the bears disappeared. I went from having 2 to 3 bears hitting water a day to 1 or 2 a week and 0 big boars….. So the search was on to find out where all the nice boars I had on cam had went…. I spent endless hours glassing and searching for fresh sign in canyons nearby and turning up nothing…. Until it happen….. my dad and I had hiked about a mile into some new wilderness and found are self’s in this huge saddle, We quickly noticed that there was a small bear rub line that had fresh bear fur in about 15 different trees… I had been talking to some bear gurus during the week and knew the bears where close to going into the rut…. We had been in the saddle for about 15 min when we seen a nice bear about 80 yards away and walking straight for us…. The bear had no idea we where there and slowly made his way within 30 yards of us and walked down a little cut, I then cut the distance to 15 yards and let this guy have it… he dropped to the floor then spun around biting at where the arrow had ripped threw him and took off threw the oaks… We quickly gave high fives and I did the lil bear dance…. We quickly realize how lucky we where to just be in the right place at the right time after busting are buts so hard.… Now came the scary part we where about 30 min from dark, a mile off any trail and quickly found out we had no blood trail….. my heart sunk…. Now its 8:30pm and no sign of where this bear had gone… I quickly made some calls to a couple guys that have a ton of experience with bear hunting and they gave me some tips on how I might find this guy…. We decided to pull out that night and make it back in by the Moring hoping to find this guy before the hot sun got to him.. what a long night I think I got 20 min of sleep…. My dad had to work so my little brother made it out to help me track this guy… we had him found by 6:30 am saved all the meat,… my little brother found one drop of blood .4 miles away and that lead us to find him….. I had made a great shot on this bear his hair had soaked up all the blood..… Boy was I happy to find him….. thanks for taking the time to read..…

Big thanks to Bull basin archery in Tucson for keeping my bow driving tacks,

Scottyboy "Owner/Operator of Global Destinations Artistry LLC" for getting him ready to mount……

And Cole "cvw789" “cmc skull works” for getting the skull ready to be cleaned ….

And my dad and brother for following me around the mountains chasing these bears...…

100_0500.jpg

FANTASTIC BRUIN, Cody!! I am going to give it my 110% effort to save this fantastic trophy for you. You certainly earned him. I am keepin my fingers crossed my tannery can save the skin.

Congratulations, my friend! What a flippin pumpkin headed beast!

Congrats Cody.... I know you guys put in some serious scouting efforts and it shows you got into the right areas and worked hard to pull off a successful hunt. My luck seems to have run out with the recent news they shut down the Coronado forest to all access. I think my season is over with no rain in sight.

Again that thing is an awesome looking bear. I'm jealous and wish I could have made it out more than just one day.

cmc

Congrats Cody....glad to see all the hard work paid off. Gotta love those big boars can't wait to get my hands on that skull!

Awesome bear Cody! Hope I can get one out of central Arizona now! How much did he weigh?

What a fantastc bear Cody. To finally put my hands on it this afternoon was awesome. It truly is a beast. Huge congrats to you and your Dad for getting the job done. Thanks for all your help as well!!!!!