DBArcher

Favorite Coues Deer Rifle.

Im looking to see what everyones favorite rifle is for coues deer and why. Im thinking on shots under 500 yards and easy to carry. Let see your picks.

Terrible picture, but heres my new coues killer. Hopefully soon I will get the load figured out. It's been a struggle so far, but I still have a few different things to test.

Savage LRH 6.5x284 topped with a Leupold VXIII 6.5x20 AO

Since it's my only big game rifle, it qualifies as my favorite ;)

IMAG0210.jpg

Thats a bad gun blake, I really like how that turned out. I thought about the 308, I do like the short actions, just for weight.

Ive been thinking about this too lately. RR shoots a 6.5WSM http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5160&st=0.

Ive been giving one of those a lot of thought, or SAUM version. I'd like a light weight 6.5mm rig on a short action for shots to 600ish. I have a m70 WSSM action, that I was thinking 6.5WSSM, but I wouldn't be able to remove a live round unless I remove the bolt. Right now, my go to is 300RUM that has done me a lot of good from 170-729. Most anything .25 bore and above, shooting the right bullets should be able to 500 on a coues.

I like that 6.5/284 Blake, what bullets at what velocities are using?

As Youngbuck mentioned and linked, I am shooting a 6.5 WSM

rifles003-1.jpg

Ballistics similar to the 264 Win Mag, nice BC of the 6.5mm bullets, and good selection of bullets to choose from. Less recoil than a comparable 30 cal.

65wsm001.jpg

rifles003-1.jpg

Ballistics similar to the 264 Win Mag, nice BC of the 6.5mm bullets, and good selection of bullets to choose from. Less recoil than a comparable 30 cal.

That gun is too pretty to use in the field.

I like that 6.5/284 Blake, what bullets at what velocities are using?

I'm still trying to find the right combo but right now I'm loading 140g JLK's, RL-17 powder, Federal 210 primers and Norma brass. I think I finally figured out why I couldn't get any real consistent grouping. I've made a few adjustments to the stock and took care of a possible carbon and copper fouling issue so I think I'm good to go now. Just have to get some more loads worked up and wait for a day that the wind is blowing like crazy up here to get some more range testing in. I really like the gun. It shoots very smooth, even with the adjustable break kept closed. Recoil is very minimal.

rifles003-1.jpg

That gun is too pretty to use in the field.

I was thinking the same thing - absolutely gorgeous gun!

I'm a big fan of the .270 WSM and .300 WSM. The .300 (Savage 114 American Classic) is my go-to gun if I ever get to rifle hunt. I've only had one coues tag since I bought it, but shot a nice 4x4 (not counting eye guards) at 357 yards. Pretty much a chip-shot for this gun but it hit exactly where I aimed and the buck died in under 20 yards.

I've also got a Howa .270 WSM that I got as partial trade from Gino on a WBY 300 mag. This is the best kids gun I can imagine. They've taken elk and javelina with it and that thing is awesome. Almost makes me want to put a better stock and trigger on it and make it my go-to gun - but even "almost stock" it's extremely accurate and versatile. I put a wood youth stock on it and a limbsaver recoil pad, and it kicks about like a .243 but has better ballistics than a standard .270 Win. The kids can shoot all the handloads I can produce for hours and never feel beat up, and they're 12 & 14. It's pretty cool watching a 12 year old shoot 4-inch groups at 300 yards.

25-06 is a great coues/antelope rifle too - unfortunately mine is super heavy (Savage 110 FP with a 1" bull barrel) so it hasn't gone on a hunt yet, but at the range it is amazingly accurate out to 500 yards. I'll post some pix later.

I like my Kimber Classic .270 WSM with a Kahles KX 3.5-10x50 scope, using Winchester 150 GR Ballistic Silvertip. Many piggies and a good size cow elk have been taken with it.

Blake, what is the barrel twist of your 6.5-284 ?

1-8"

That's a beautiful 6.5 you have. I would be scared to take that thing out in the field.

As was stated Red Rabbit,your rifle is beautiful!!!!!!Must be the flowers in the background.Haha,no it really is nice.Cliff