DBArcher

Favorite Coues Deer Rifle.

As Youngbuck mentioned and linked, I am shooting a 6.5 WSM

rifles003-1.jpg

Ballistics similar to the 264 Win Mag, nice BC of the 6.5mm bullets, and good selection of bullets to choose from. Less recoil than a comparable 30 cal.

Beautiful piece of walnut. I'm glad to see somebody shooting something that's not made of tupperware.

Picture, as promised.

post-478-0-91811500-1309139014_thumb.jpg

On the top is the Savage 110 FP in .25-06, which weighs around 13 pounds with the scope, maybe more. But it can shoot circles around me all day. This is the sweetest shooting, most accurate gun I own, but it's yet to go on a hunt because of its weight. If I were hunting speed goats and driving around looking for a booner I could nail at 500 yards or more, this is the gun I would have. Packing in, hiking all day, not so much. It's a button-pusher for sure but I'm not carrying it around all day up and down the Sonoran desert.

Second one down is the Savage 114 American Classic with oiled wood and parkerized barrel in .300 WSM. Great gun - shoots incredibly well. Very accurate and tons of power with hand-loaded CT ballistic tips. I really can't say enough good things about this gun to do it justice. I hand load, so I've seen what it is capable of. The button-rifling of the medium contoured barrel shoots like a dream. It's a tad heavy, because of the medium barrel, but the wood is really nice, the action is OK - it's a Savage, but for a .300 magnum, a load that is synonymous with accuracy issues (most because of recoil flinch), this gun shoots like silk. I think the WSM shoot so much better than a WBY mag or a Remington Ultra Mag, in the same calibers. You still get the ballistics of the big magnums, without the pounding recoil. That's just my opinion.

And finally, the Howa in .270 WSM with a Vortex scope. Looks like a poor man's gun but shoots like a custom bean-field rifle. I load this one with 56 grains of IMR 4350 pushing 140 gr. Nosler Accu-bond.

All of these guns are in the $400-$550 price range, but with hand loads, they shoot way better than me all day.

The scopes on the first two are Cabela's Alaskan Guide. The 25-06 has a 4-14x, and the .300 has a 6-20x with mil dots.

Dollar-for-dollar, I'd put these 3 guns up against much more expensive rifles with much more expensive optics. The priciest one is still less than $900 including optics and in hands more capable than mine, will shoot as well, or better than some of the really expensive custom guns. I've shot some of the big dollar rifles, and for a long time owned a Weatherby Super Big Game Hunter in .300 WBY mag with a Leopold scope, that combined, cost 2-3x what these rifles did. It was a super nice rifle, but these 'el cheapo' rifles wouldn't be wanting in any kind of shooting match against that one, IMO.

rifles003-1.jpg

Ballistics similar to the 264 Win Mag, nice BC of the 6.5mm bullets, and good selection of bullets to choose from. Less recoil than a comparable 30 cal.

Rabbit ... that gun is SWEEEEET.

If I get drawn for the Coues this year, I'll either be in the market for a Quarter Bore, or I'll use my son's 7-08 Compact ... nice and light with little recoil. I know Lark hates 'em (I think he called the 7-08 a "good doorstop"), but it was a good caliber to start my boys on, and the little gun shoots LIGHTS OUT. Surprised me, being a Ruger, but it really does shoot.

I like that 6.5/284 Blake, what bullets at what velocities are using?

I'm still trying to find the right combo but right now I'm loading 140g JLK's, RL-17 powder, Federal 210 primers and Norma brass. I think I finally figured out why I couldn't get any real consistent grouping. I've made a few adjustments to the stock and took care of a possible carbon and copper fouling issue so I think I'm good to go now. Just have to get some more loads worked up and wait for a day that the wind is blowing like crazy up here to get some more range testing in. I really like the gun. It shoots very smooth, even with the adjustable break kept closed. Recoil is very minimal.

Have you tried other powders besides RL-17?

http://www.6mmbr.com/SixFive284.html

I like that 6.5/284 Blake, what bullets at what velocities are using?

I'm still trying to find the right combo but right now I'm loading 140g JLK's, RL-17 powder, Federal 210 primers and Norma brass. I think I finally figured out why I couldn't get any real consistent grouping. I've made a few adjustments to the stock and took care of a possible carbon and copper fouling issue so I think I'm good to go now. Just have to get some more loads worked up and wait for a day that the wind is blowing like crazy up here to get some more range testing in. I really like the gun. It shoots very smooth, even with the adjustable break kept closed. Recoil is very minimal.

Have you tried other powders besides RL-17?

http://www.6mmbr.com/SixFive284.html

At this point, Doug, I am pretty confident that what I'm using will work. I had some minor gun smithing things to deal with that I never noticed before that I believe were the causes of the inaccuracies. Now that I have all those issues dealt with, I am basically going to retry the top few loads that shot the best and see how much better they are.

rifles003-1.jpg

Beautiful piece of walnut. I'm glad to see somebody shooting something that's not made of tupperware.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that 6.5 wsm a Winchester Model 70 Supergrade? Nice looking gun. Exspensive, too.

Bubbas2010deer013.jpg

deertday2008041.jpg

001-3.jpg

SWEET looking gun man! Is that a Weatherby Van-Gaurd Sub-moa .257 weatherby? Or some other rifle?

Negative. Thats a Remington 700 based custom rifle, .257 wby

Oh. Was wondering why the bolt itself looked different. Thats a bell and carlson stock right?

Yes it is a bell and carlson. I was planing on putting a McMillian on her, but if it aint broke dont fix it, right?!

510 yards, 100 TTSX prone with a bipod and no rear support

0822100837a.jpg

Cody, thats El Chupacabra!