Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

Giant 410+ Velvet Bull killed!

They hunted this bull and this bull alone since August of 2010. Bulls like this dont get that big by being stupid. They finally sealed the deal. you can read a short story that chad wrote up on the mossback az blog. awesome story.

I respect everything Alan has done. From what I understand Alan and the Mossback team have become good friends, "hunting buddies". And someone with a lot a lot of money helping out the working man. I love that. Congrats Alan and Team MossbackAz once again.

nice bull for sure. i don't know this guy and have actually never heard of him before today. don't have any opinion of him at all. but, i can see both sides of the auction tag arguement and i do have an opinion. can you belive that? i tend to be against it, somewhat. i wish they didn't auction any tags. none. go to a straight raffle on all of them. level the field a little. i think it's more of a way for rich guys to get to do what they want than it is a way to raise conservation funds. that's my take. but what i really disagree with is hiring folks to keep an eye on things for them until they can shoot em. that doesn't sit well at all. to me there ain't a lot sporting to that. and after the guy shot the bull in the subdivision in showlow it really made the whole thing look bad. but there will be bigger bulls taken by joe hunter this year, who got drawn, worked hard and made their own success happen. so the rich guy hater deal doesn't have real substance. if you get a decent tag and put in the work, you too can shoot a millionaire grade bull. i know there were last year because i was in on one of em. i guess it's the "BLUE WHALE" explanation all over again. but that's a nice bull and the bull deserves the credit for being smart enough to evade folks long enough to grow the antlers. and yes, if i had the money, i'd piss everyone off, even the rich guys, because i'd buy every tag, every year. but i wouldn't need folks to camp out on an animal for me. and i would be making my fingers like a V in the photos. and Az doesn't have a big number of auction tags that only rich guys can afford. a lot of other states, through their landowner permit systems, have a buncha tags that are basically available to folks with a lot of money. they are usually had at prices much less than an auction tag in Az, but you still hafta have some serious coin to afford one. it's a jealousy thing. so i guess i actually can feel for the millionaires, everbody is jealous o' me. nice bull. :P :P :P Lark.

Toby the Toad is no more.

sad day......how is it that a millionaires' dollars got this old boy killed but none of us could get it done during a real elk season? Putting year-round bounties on wildlife is something i thought went away in the 1950's. shame on azgfd and the governor for making a sham of our hunting seasons and giving one or two sob's an unfair, 12 month advantage. i hope everyone involved with littlehorn and mossback get all that they de$erve.

pissed.

lee

The reason that this millionare got this old boy killed is because he is also a very great hunter and knows how to hunt better then 90 percent of the guys out there. Alan is not an SOB and if you knew him and what he has done for the AZ you would realize you are the only SOB. Unbelievable that someone would run there mouth about mossback or alan. Enjoy the bull and pictures if you dont like it go to a different post.Thanks Amanda for posting them up. Congrats to alan and mossback.

am i crazy for saying id rather hunt bulls for 12mos.. then sheep for 30 days.. congrats

If he's such a great hunter why does he need a posse to help him find and keep track of that one special animal? I appreciate anything he has done for wildlife,but you are not a hunter if you have guides! Sure, I would pay for the 12 mo. hunt, but I would want everyone to know I killed that bull because of my skill as a hunter. He had paid people to do all the work for him and was the one to pull the trigger because he wrote the check! That is not "hunting" , that is just lazy killing! Same thing with Mr. Spider bull man. No record should be given to anyone who doesn't do their own dirty work.

Nice bull... and Im sure this Alan is a great guy. But dont be fooled here. Most of you dont understand how or why these rich guys buy auction tags. THEY ARE TAX WRITE OFFS!!!! Example; Guy makes 10 million dollars a year,,,then said guy owes 2 million in taxes--- Guy buys NON_PROFIT ELK TAG FOR 200,000 bucks.Guy gets huge write off AND gets to kill a huge bull. guy gets recognition for DONATING to RMEF or whereever he bought the tag from. Said guy gets recognition for being a great hunter and conservationist for PAYING HIS TAXES, unlike you and I. How and why do you think the same guys are always doing this? Because they need the write offs and not all rich guys hunt. Only a few.. When I make 10 million a year, Im going to do the same thing...LOL

Ron

now there's some usefull information. i try to learn something new everyday, and some days it's really hard because i'm so smart. but today i learnt something new. tax write off. who'da thunk it? can i write of my permits? if not, why not? sounds like one o' them loopholes i always hear about. Lark.

...Most of you dont understand how or why these rich guys buy auction tags. THEY ARE TAX WRITE OFFS!!!!...

Ron

I understand completely.

What I don't think some understand is that he can and WILL donate to any organization, foundation, group, that he wishes. There are ways to do just about anything with tax write offs, whether you're into art, fast cars, travel, whatever. I want to be very clear, that I understand this.

Like I stated before, there are many people that would gladly take his money (donation) and many of these people run outfits that are AGAINST hunting and what we love to do as hunters. On the other hand, here we have a person that chooses to participate in something we all love to do. All the while helping organizations that help wildlife in our own backyard. These auction tag holders are one of us, Hunters and sportsmen.

Hey guys,

Please keep this a positive thread. If you want to debate the merit of special commissioner tags and/or guides, create another thread and do so without directly attacking anyone. Better yet, if you don't like commissioner tags, contact the AGFD commission and do something to change it.

Alan has done a lot for wildlife conservation in Arizona and is a dedicated, passionate hunter. I am sure the Mossback guides worked their tails off on this hunt as well. For the life of me I don't understand why whenever ANYONE (whether guided or not) kills a giant animal there are always people wanting to tear it down.

Amanda

Amanda,It's too bad that you have to put on the referee shirt because of some people that are jealous.We are very lucky to have people like you ,and Alan in our state.My hat is off to both of you!!Cliff