Sign in to follow this  
Shooter McGavin

At least it isn't tag soup

Well what can I say except laugh with me and thank me for removing this deer from the WT gene pool so that it never breeds and warps our whitetail population again. Shot it opening morning @ 6;32 AM in unit 33. Story goes like this: woke up at 4 AM and made my long 1 1/2 hour trek (by foot) to my special spot (not knowing how really special it was going to be). So around 6;25 this buck walks into view, I range it @ 182yds just for poops and giggles . I am thinking alright the bucks are on the move. So I say to myself WOW, if I were to shoot this how much grief am I going to get from my buddies, but at the same time thinking meat in the freezer. I take the safety off and decide ok, if I miss the 1st shot and the deer runs off that it wasn't meant to be. I aim and shoot, I do end up missing but the deer actually start to trot closer to me. I tell myself one more, so once again I miss and again it just stay right there. Now I am kind of getting a little upset for missing, so the 3rd shot goes off and I miss again. Now I am thinking what if these are signs from the man upstairs telling me to hold off for a larger buck. Nope I tell myself and try again because what if this was a really big buck and how horrible would I feel if I never connected, so I try again. So I line up again and boom the deer goes down, whew I tell myself and give me a high five. I walk down to the deer and start chuckling, my buddies call me on the radio and ask if I got it and how big. I told them yes I did get it but they would have to wait until they got back to camp to admire the sheer magnitude of this buck. I did end up going out as an extra set of eyes with my buddies, but never did see another buck just does. Maybe it was meant to be, but I can tell you this, I will not be shopping in the meat section at Fry's or Costco anytime soon. Enjoy the pic!!!

post-2173-0-39424100-1319410413_thumb.jpg

Thats awesome!! I honestly get tired of the mentality that one has to shoot the largest buck possible. Maybe I hate it so much because I have got caught up in that and it kills me. I am riddled with guilt. I remember when a buck was a buck was a buck.... Then again, I know that some tags are hard to draw and one has to make the most of it. That said, with a tag you can draw on a regular basis, there is nothing wrong with that freezer trophy right there! It's the 'thrill of the steak'!

Congrats on an awesome freezer trophy.

tasty Unicorn there.....

Slim beat me to it! Not only a spike, but a one horned one, at that! ;) Good for you!

Serioulsy, this site is about hunting, period! Thanks for sharing, and enjoy the venison.

S.

:)

My deer from 2 years ago would make that look like a monster - see the pic in my signature. :D