Sign in to follow this  
willhunt4coues

The Wife's first deer hunt

Well my wife did it, I was finally able to talk her into hunting the grey ghost of the desert the Coues deer and had put her in with my dad and I and we all got tags. Needless to say I did tag out in August with a spot and stalk Coues buck so I had all the time in the world for my wife and dad. Rick and his wife came up for 2 days but then had to take off. We seen anywhere from 1 to 3 bucks every day of the hunt but man they were always on the move and could not get set up in time or would pull the grey ghost and disappear. On Saturday we had spotted a great buck and Misty was able to get a shot off but with a bad shot (had to shoot through a catclaw) the bullet hit under the deer with him walking away shaking his head. On Wednesday Misty spotted a buck just in front of our glassing spot headed up the hill so I grabbed the binos and confirmed it was a great buck and set her up on the Triclawps setup ASAP. With the buck only 270 yards away and the Howa 308 in her grasp I knew she would get him but he was just cresting the hill and I was about to say you better hurry when she shot and the deer did the infamous donkey kick (as I call it). He went about 40 yards into the tree line so I showed her where he was at and she let out another shot. He ran a whole 10 yards up the hill and slid back down on his chest. Both shots had connected. My wife had just shot her first Coues Whitetail deer we named Black Ear because low and behold when we approached the deer he had a Black bullet hole through his ear (the dried blood was black). This was the same buck she had shot at on Saturday that's why he was shaking his head that day. Congrats babe, I could not be more proud of you. I hope this is not the only Coues you get I hope for many more hunts with you. You stayed calm and got the job done. Thanks Rick and Tes for coming up and being able to go for the days you did I wish you guys could have stayed longer and I know you wished it too. Me and my dad had spotted a BRUISER on Tuesday, tried to get him but never did and never saw him again. Thanks Cade for the awesome Tripod and Triclawps set up well worth all the money in the world. Congrats again babe.

103_0669.jpg

103_0674.jpg

103_0678-1.jpg

103_0680.jpg

Awesome buck Misty way to stick with it! I loved the play by play! When you texted me in traffic , I had to swerve :)

That area looks familiar :) lol

Great job Clay, nothing better than hunting with family!

Doug

Whoohoo! Congratulations to you guys on a great first buck! Way to go! That's a great shooting set up and as you said worth every bit of the price!

Congrats to Misty on her first of hopefully many hunts!

Great job on getting your first deer! its quite a rush ain't it hahaha